What material is PSU cable insulation

Johnny12420

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
Techinally in extension cables, because I'm buing affordable extension cables for power supply to use with VS550 and painting them black. I have red that I need special paint, dye, or some lacquer for that. Also I don't care about sleeving and they are more expensive.

So either that or If you know cheap black not individually sleeved extension cables? I buy from Ali regularly.

Solution
First, I don't see how anyone can say XYZ PSU is bad if we don't know what it's powering. The VS550 might be the worst psu that corsair makes, but it's still a good budget psu. It should have no issues powering a lower end setup. Second, I find it "odd" that someone would suggest the CX series without warning about the different versions. He said in the OP that he orders from Ali so that's a big clue you aren't dealing with a person in the USA. I really hope he didn't get the green label version because that's not better than the VS version.

Finally, over and over someone had been saying it's a bad idea to use extentions or paint the cables. WHY? Rather than say it over and over, please fill us in as to why it's bad.

As...

Johnny12420

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

That is the PSU that has been recommended for me by multiple people for my budget PC. Actually it was the 450W model that was recommended, but is the something so different between the two?

No doubt it was recommended, but that still doesn't negate the fact that painting PSU cables (indeed any PC cables) is just a bad idea.

Johnny12420

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

Why? I found that vinyl paint is the one that should be used, because It's elastic. Also I put this on wrong site I forgot how negative people on co.uk are. I thought I put this on .com site. Ehere they recommended vs450 for me. Please comment on that?

It's on both sites actually, some of us are in the US.

That PSU is extremely low quality, it's the worst PSU Corsair sells.

Not sure who recommended it, but it's a BAD choice.

Then there is the safety issue with the other thing that compounds the original issue of the PSU itself.

Johnny12420

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

Okay. Multiple people recommended it for me. Should I go with cx450 instead?
It doesnt give me any upgrade headroom, but...

The CX is better, but I would stay far away from cheap extenders, get the good ones or you will regret it.

The CXM would be the budget model to get.

Also if you buy a good PSU you won't need the extenders in the 1st place.

Johnny12420

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

Why stay away from them? too thin wiring? I have to order some extension like molex to 2 sata ja single molex extension. to power PCI-E usb card and 2 SSD's i'm putting there.

How that modular is better than non- modular?

You will end up burning down your house.

Buy a good PSU and stay away from the extenders.

Johnny12420

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

But how is modular version of cx450 better than non-modular.I have psu shroud I can hide all extra cables.

Never said it was better, just better cabling options with the modular PSU's.

I would get the CX550M however.

Johnny12420

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

Well I changed my order to non-modular CX 450 from VS550.
I still need them. either molex to two sata ports or female to 2 male sata + single port molex extension.
¨
What Cauge extension cables should I look for?

E: No one is answering so I'm making new topic either here or somewhere else

kanewolf

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Johnny12420 : "About wire Cauge (AWG)"

The smaller the number the larger the diameter of the wire (and the lower the resistance). SATA connections require very little amperage for disk drives. If you are using it for something besides disks, then you need to re-think. Molex is a little more difficult. There are many things that are attempted to be powered by molex connectors. Fans or LEDs, no significant amperage. Molex to PCIe, high amperage and not recommended at all.

So you have to look at what you are powering, what the original diameter of the power supply wire, etc. There is no single answer. The SAFEST answer is to match or exceed the gauge of the wire from the power supply. But you can still overheat connectors and wire if you try to run high amperage with either of the two types of cables you listed.

Johnny12420

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
The smaller the number the larger the diameter of the wire (and the lower the resistance). SATA connections require very little amperage for disk drives. If you are using it for something besides disks, then you need to re-think. Molex is a little more difficult. There are many things that are attempted to be powered by molex connectors. Fans or LEDs, no significant amperage. Molex to PCIe, high amperage and not recommended at all.

So you have to look at what you are powering, what the original diameter of the power supply wire, etc. There is no single answer. The SAFEST answer is to match or exceed the gauge of the wire from the power supply. But you can still overheat connectors and wire if you try to run high amperage with either of the two types of cables you listed.

Kanewolf, the molex extension is going to a pci-e USB 3.1 card It needs power to the card and 2 front panel USB 3 connections.
This Anker model card

btw. All I can find is 18 gauge cables. Even the CX psu has that. So it should be fine with that?

Whatever man, I'm Finnish not american

4745454b

Titan
First, I don't see how anyone can say XYZ PSU is bad if we don't know what it's powering. The VS550 might be the worst psu that corsair makes, but it's still a good budget psu. It should have no issues powering a lower end setup. Second, I find it "odd" that someone would suggest the CX series without warning about the different versions. He said in the OP that he orders from Ali so that's a big clue you aren't dealing with a person in the USA. I really hope he didn't get the green label version because that's not better than the VS version.

Finally, over and over someone had been saying it's a bad idea to use extentions or paint the cables. WHY? Rather than say it over and over, please fill us in as to why it's bad.

As for the gauge question, 18g is the standard. I've seen higher wattage units use 16g on the main ATX bundle with 18g on everything else. But you should only find 18g wire psu out there.

Solution

Johnny12420

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

This model I don't know anything about it. They don't even say if it's bronze certified. Only on corsair website it says that. Also red from review there seems to be multiple manufaturers of these PSUs. Looks also that Only adapter I need is for the single molex. They are all braided. I can even find it locally and doesn't cost much.

Johnny12420

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

For usb 3.1 PCI-E card. It has only 2.0 ports and case front panel has only 3.1 ports. BTW I'ts my 2ndary backup/portable rig. I can give you full specs if it is needed