mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I currently use a dell insp 530 mb. I installed a evga 250 gts. The motherboard layout is terrible for this card. The card covers up 2 of the 4 sata headers(i need 3 min) and a pcie slot. Not only that but I want to send audio via hdmi but cant find the needed SPDIF header to do so. Can someone please recommend a budget mb that I can use the 250 gts and have audio thru the hdmi cable. It needs to have the 775 socket and I would like to be able to overclock my q6600 with it. It would be great if it fit in the 530 case too. So ya any help would be nice. TY.

Good advice Proxi ^^ Why dun u get a new case+PSU+mobo and transplant chip and everything else? The airflow in a propriety case for gaming isn't one of Dell's concerns when they churned out these number crunchers me thinks hehe (Not to mention layout as u mentioned)

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Im using CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W psu so thats no problem. I like the Gigabyte P45 mb. Think I might just go with that. I was also thinking of getting a Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan but I want to use this case with a future build. So when I get around to the future build I would want to put this build back in the dell tower.

The other problem you face is that the DELL version of windows is NOT going to install on a system with a different mb .
You will either have to buy another copy of windows , or download the RC of windows 7 and use that

OR

get a pci card with sata ports for not much money at all

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
The real problem is the missing internal spdif header from the mb. More so than anything else. Man.... windows not loading on another mb is a real problem. Can any one confirm this? If so, CRAP! Is there a way to get a spdif header for my 250gts(maybe sound card) that will allow me to play audio thru the hdmi cable with my current mb? If not i got to find another way to get hd audio from my comp to my hdtv thats 15 feet away! Man, I really regret buying anything from dell. What a waste. Live and learn.

Haha ya once u DIY u won't look back Hmm why dun u place the rig somewhere near the TV and get wireless kb+mouse? Thats what i do up for clients. Err more in the 10 feet range and under hehe

Ok one crude (but working solution) i can suggest is
1) Get your rig to within a DVI/VGA cable distance and use those cables to pass video to TV. Wireless KB+Mouse set up to operate say 10 feet away max i think
2) Get this 3.5mm to RCA cable and fix the 3.5 mm end (black) to back of mobo while the red/white ends go to your TV
image2552.jpg

Rearportaudio.jpg

This settles transmitting audio to TV
4. You shall use the onboard sound on any mobo and use the TV internal speakers

It ain't elegant for sure but works hehe I can imagine the Audiophiles cringing at this solution though :p