[SOLVED] What memory kit should I buy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
PC SPECS
GPU: GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650
RAM: 2X 8GB G.Skill Aegis 3000Mhz (broken)
MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + 128 GB Kingston SSD
HDD: Seagate 1TB

I have a faulty memory kit so I am looking to buy a new one. I am looking to buy a new 16GB memory kit but I don't know which ones are any good, the one I am considering to buy is this one: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/459273/corsair-vengeance-lpx-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16/specificaties/

You reckon I should buy this memory kit or go for a better one?

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
PS
Be sure to reset the RAM to 2133 Mhz and save the settings before testing each stick in those slots.
For some reason not all motherboards can run RTAM at 3200 in all the slots.
Some can only run at 2933 Mhz in the secondary channel slots (A1/B1).

PSS
I have to go in a few minutes but I will check back in later tonight.
Got the hyperX kit today, doesn't work either. Safe to say that my MOBO is the problem. Got this response from MSI support> ''Regarding your concern, from the images you sent on the forum, the MB only detects one RAM size when you install two pieces of RAM. Maybe there is some issue with the DIMMB1 and DIMMB2 slot. Please clear CMOS referring yo the manual, reinstall the CPU and RAM, just install one piece of RAM on the DIMM slots to test them individually. Please use BIOS default settings to test and just install one piece of RAM to test. Thanks! ''

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Yeah sadly it is sounding like the issue is with the MB not the RAM.
Results with the HyperX memort kit:

Both of the HyperX sticks worked and booted up just fine when in the A2 slot, then I tried both of the sticks in B2, PC booted up but no screen was given.

Both sticks worked in the A1 slot but neither of the sticks worked in the B1 slot (PC booted up but no screen was given).

So if my MOBO is the issue and I do return it, what pair of memory do you recommend me to keep?

This one> HyperX Predator RGB HX432C16PB3AK2/16 (On my MOBO QVL list.)
Or this one> G.Skill TridentZ RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (Not on my MOBO QVL list but best tested on userbenchmark]

BrownRecluse27

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Well this was my RMA Kit and I don't think you can request a RMA over a RMA kit. Let's just say that my cat pissed near me computer and the memory modules were kind of covered in piss. And my Mhz from my kit went from 2933 to 2133Mhz and FPS went from 103 to 50 right after my cat pissed over my memory kit. This is the second time this happened, hence why I know.
No words for this

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador

Both of the HyperX sticks worked and booted up just fine when in the A2 slot, then I tried both of the sticks in B2, PC booted up but no screen was given.

Both sticks worked in the A1 slot but neither of the sticks worked in the B1 slot (PC booted up but no screen was given).

So if my MOBO is the issue and I do return it, what pair of memory do you recommend me to keep?

Or this one> G.Skill TridentZ RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (Not on my MOBO QVL list but best tested on userbenchmark]
I personally like G.Skill RAM best, but that is a personal opinion based on my experiences.
BUT, Since the HyperX kit is listed on your MB QVL, I think you should keep that kit.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador

Please let us know how everything works out when you get your replacement motherboard.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Please let us know how everything works out when you get your replacement motherboard.
After 5 weeks my PC works like it should again. The problem was my MOBO. I waited 5 weeks for my MOBO to be repaired and once they sent it back they told me that there was too much damage done to the MOBO so I don't get a replacement one nor a refund. Ended up buying the same MOBO again and everything works. Thank you to all who helped me troubleshoot my problem.

Reactions: DMAN999