What memory should I choose?

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
Hey there.

I know that there aren't much differences between all the RAM memory brands, but looking at RAM prices I see that there are some big differences in price for basically the same amount of memory and the same clock speed, so it got me wondering.

Right now I just have 4GB DDR4 clocked at 2400Mhz (Actually, it's 2133Mhz for the mobo limitations). I got enough money to buy a new 4GB stick and finally ascend to gloriousness.

These are the choices that I have:

- Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS4G4D240FSC @ 2400Mhz ($66)
- Kingston KVR24N17S6/4BK @ 2400Mhz ($57)
- Crucial CT4G4DFS824A.C8FBD2 @ 2400Mhz ($62)

My current RAM is the same as the third choice. My GPU is currently a Pentium G4400.

The first choice looks like the better one, since is from the Ballistix brand and it's the one that is more "reliable". The Kingston would also be a good choice due to its cheap price, but I don't think that Kingston memories are very reliable. At last is the same one that I already have, I haven't got any problem with it so far, and it performs quite well, and maybe it's a better idea to pair my current RAM with another of its breed.

So, is there like any real difference between those 3 choices? I'd like to know which one should I buy, because I'm afraid of buying like the Kingston one because of it cheapness and ending having a poor performance from it.

Solution
I would definitely go with the third choice. If at all possible, you want to match your memory. RAM can be very finicky and mixing and match RAM does not always work. Even if it is the same model. This is why RAM is sold in kits. So I would try and match your current RAM, but buy from a vendor that accepts returns as there is always a chance it wont work.

Moving forward, there is not difference between Kingston or Crucial. The actual memory chips are probably made by the same vendor in the end. So when all things are equal, I would go with the cheapest. But in your case, not all things are equal.
I would definitely go with the third choice. If at all possible, you want to match your memory. RAM can be very finicky and mixing and match RAM does not always work. Even if it is the same model. This is why RAM is sold in kits. So I would try and match your current RAM, but buy from a vendor that accepts returns as there is always a chance it wont work.

Moving forward, there is not difference between Kingston or Crucial. The actual memory chips are probably made by the same vendor in the end. So when all things are equal, I would go with the cheapest. But in your case, not all things are equal.

Solution
If you want 8 GB of RAM, then buy a matched set of 8 GB of RAM. The same goes for 16 GB. This is dual channel memory. It needs to be matching to minimize incompatibilities. For example, the frequency of the memory needs to sync up with the same voltage applied.

Adding memory one stick at a time is a bad idea.

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017

I currently don't have the money to buy a set of 2x4 and the RAM prices are rapidly increasing here. I'd prefer to buy the third choice now instead of having to wait a lot more of time and having to spend more money. But thanks for the tip.