what memory should i get

Solution
G. Skill 1866MHz:
Why?
- Low Voltage power savings are minimal
- 1866MHz (with similar timings) is already a small benefit in some scenarios versus 1600MHz. It's relatively small, but that may change in the future. Considering the difference in price though, just get the 1866MHz.

I don't have my links, but it was demonstrated that 2133MHz in at least one game had up to a 15% advantage at times over 1600MHz. Again, that's presently quite rare but it was also a newer game so there's at least a precedent here showing more than 1600MHz can benefit.

*Also, don't forget:
1. Update the motherboard BIOS.
2. Apply the XMP profile in the BIOS.
3. Run MEMTEST or at least the Win7/8 memory diagnostic.
4. If overclocking CPU, keep RAM the same...
Here is what I consider (especially for Intel build):

* 1600 mHz RAM is optimal and not much difference with faster RAM.
* At least CAS 9 timings.
* Runs at stock voltage of 1.5v.
* Low height heat spreaders, so you can add just about any aftermarket CPU/HSF that you want (tall/high heat spreaders can get in the way).
* Cheapest name brand that meets the above requirements (I prefer G.Skill, but Corsair, Crucial, & ADATA have been all good to me).

G. Skill 1866MHz:
Why?
- Low Voltage power savings are minimal
- 1866MHz (with similar timings) is already a small benefit in some scenarios versus 1600MHz. It's relatively small, but that may change in the future. Considering the difference in price though, just get the 1866MHz.

I don't have my links, but it was demonstrated that 2133MHz in at least one game had up to a 15% advantage at times over 1600MHz. Again, that's presently quite rare but it was also a newer game so there's at least a precedent here showing more than 1600MHz can benefit.

*Also, don't forget:
1. Update the motherboard BIOS.
2. Apply the XMP profile in the BIOS.
3. Run MEMTEST or at least the Win7/8 memory diagnostic.
4. If overclocking CPU, keep RAM the same. Double-check the frequency and timings
remain optimal.

Overclocking example:
1. I clicked the quick overclock button (forget name) in my Asus Z77 Sabertooth BIOS
2. Reboot (press DEL again for BIOS)
3. My CPU showed 4.2GHz but my DDR3 profile was not optimal
4. I clicked XMP again (which is for the CPU and RAM) and my CPU was now 4.1GHz (Turbo) and my DDR3 profile was now proper (in my case 2133MHz with proper timings).
5. I started CPU-Z in Windows to confirm that my CPU power saving features still worked. You should see the frequency changing if it is (should be under 2GHz in idle).

*I prefer a light overclock while maintaining the power savings. So my CPU could Turbo to 4.1GHz (instead of 3.9GHz) but normally stays below 2GHz at a lower voltage.

OVERCLOCKING to 4.2GHz and higher:
The problem with overclocking in general is that it disables the power saving features. Overclocking to 4.6GHz would provide very little real-world advantage versus the above method.

**Overclocking mistakes:
1) If cooling is not adequate, overclocking can actually REDUCE processor performance by triggering a protective feature such as disabling a core or reducing frequency.

2) If RAM is overclocked errors can happen. The worst case scenario is that things seem to work properly but data corruption is happening. *Always run MEMTEST or the Windows memory diagnostic any time a CPU or Memory profile is modified.

Cheers.

Solution