Question What might cause a newly installed MB to immediately drop power?

May 20, 2020
I installed an ASUS H81M-K mobo and an Intel Core i5-4460 CPU reusing the HyperX Blu 8GB of RAM from the old mobo and the EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS Power Supply from the old rig. I chose this older technology because for my purposes there was no need to go state of the art.

After making all connections I powered up to verify. The case and CPU fans spun up for about 1 second and the DVD drive light blinked once and then power dropped. I double checked all the connections backing them off and reseating them to no avail. Since the upgrade was for my main desktop system I had to remove everything and reinstall the old mobo and CPU. System runs fine now.

I sent email to the mobo seller in China asking them for input but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyone have ideas for what I might check?

Thanks,
Terry

May 20, 2020
Regarding rdg1101's suggestion that the BIOS may need to be updated, I found a this post indicating that the last set of digits on the sticker on the mobo are the BIOS version. If that is correct, the version is 3602 which is what the ASUS site indicates is the required level. The release date for 3602 is 4/12/2018 and there is what appears to be a date on the box label of "2019-04".

I'd love to hear what anyone else has to say about this.

Thanks,
Terry

May 20, 2020
Okay, I have a couple of new data points.

I contacted the seller (Corn Electronics) and they raised the question of BIOS version and said that they upgrade BIOS before shipping. I responded asking them if it was upgraded to version 3602 (the latest) but I haven't been able to get them to answer the question. Sheesh!

I bought a power supply so I could test without tearing down my existing rig again and ran these two tests:

1. I connected only:​
the 24-pin power​
the 4-pin CPU power​
the case fan​
the CPU fan​
the PC speaker​
So, no CPU, no RAM, no disks, no front panel audio connectors, no front panel USB connectors and no system panel connectors. When I powered up I observed:​
the case fan spun up and continued spinning​
the CPU fan spun up and continued spinning​
no beep codes from the PC speaker​
2. I then reinstalled the CPU and ran the power on test again and it failed just as I originally reported, both fans spun for about 1 second and then power dropped. Again, there were no beep codes from the PC speaker.​

So I'm thinking the problem is with the CPU. What do y'all think? Also, can anyone recommend any other test I can try?

Thanks,
Terry

May 20, 2020
same seller as the motherboard? used? don't have another motherboard for test
Diff sellers: mobo from Corn Electronics, CPU from E.O.L. Tech Inc. Both sold as NEW with mobo in manufacturer's packaging and CPU being white box. No, I don't have another Haswell mobo to test with.

Terry