Question What minimum cpu will i need for a rtx 2060 without overclocking

trust retro

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
I want to buy nvidia rtx 2060 but I'm not sure what cpu I'll need. I also dont want to spend too much on it I just want to make sure it will work fine

OllieGE

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
Ryzen 5 2600, not necessarily the minimum but gives you some head room if you want to upgrade GPU or CPU in the future (if you go b450 a bios update will let you do something like a 3700) so it saves buying a new motherboard everytime

InvalidError

Titan
ok but what would be the recommended for all games
Your most CPU-intensive games dictate what CPU you need for a given frame rate. If you pick a CPU strong enough to beat the minimum FPS you want in your most CPU-intensive games, albeit at the expense of possibly having to lower details if your GPU cannot keep up, then it should be fine for everything else.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
I want to buy nvidia rtx 2060 but I'm not sure what cpu I'll need. I also dont want to spend too much on it I just want to make sure it will work fine

Depends a lot at what your gaming resolution is, and the game. But I'm going to assume you'll be running 1080p since you have 6GB memory.

2060 is a reasonable middle of the road processor that will give you the most bang for your buck. If you have a high frame rate monitor, (>100fps) then I would lean towards a faster processor with at least 6 cores/12 threads. CPU speed matters when gaming at 1080p.

Your most CPU-intensive games dictate what CPU you need for a given frame rate. If you pick a CPU strong enough to beat the minimum FPS you want in your most CPU-intensive games, albeit at the expense of possibly having to lower details if your GPU cannot keep up, then it should be fine for everything else.

He's Quite Right. Even Crysis won't get you high frame rates because it can't take advantage of > 4 cores. And RDR2 won't run with all the eye candy because it demands too much from your GPU.

zx128k

Reputable
RTX 2060 card is best at 1080P or 1440p. You need a minimum 6 core 12thread cpu. 3600x would be the cpu I would get minimum for games.

InvalidError is right to state that its the games you play that determine the build you need. If you are not into Ray Tracing games for example, you don't have to get a RTX card. If you just play World of Warcraft at 1440p. Then getting a better CPU and a cheaper GPU could be the way to go. If you don't plan your build correctly then you may have to upgrade to correct the performance issues you can't live with.