[SOLVED] What Modem/Router should I be looking for?

Terminator_

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
Hello
I recently moved to Germany, to an apartment with a TAE socket. My ISP provided me with a FRITZ!Box 7530 with a TAE to RJ45? DSL cable, but I will have to return this in a couple months. I thought I ordered a correct good replacement, an ASUS DSL-AC68U, But found that I didn't receive the necessary RJ11 DSL cable, which made me think if I was even buying the right thing. I am not very experience with the different forms of DSL (I believe the ASUS one is ADSL/VDSL which may be slower?) and could use help finding a new router

With my current contract I receive 100mbps down and 50 up (was only getting 30 up with current rounter) in a 2 room apartment, and I already have this TAE to RJ45 cable routed around my apartment where it needs to go, but would also want a router that I can take to future apartments

I do prefer ASUS routers, due to having a good experience with my previous routers such as the RT-AC67U sets.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what router I should be getting for around 100€?

Thank you

Solution
The cable connector doesn't matter a lot it just plastic holding the same wires in place just in different physical configurations.

The speed you get is based on how good the DSL signal you get is. I suspect both routers will be more or less the same since the bottleneck is going to be the DSL connection. The wifi on both is going to be faster than the DSL. Most the difference will be software features and only you can decide which is important and which is not.

Lutfij

Titan
If you already have an adapter to convert the TAE to RJ45, then you're open to pretty much any suggestions for a router. That being said, if and when you migrate to another apartment, can you ensure that you're not going to need the TAE adapter(I've never seen it in person but I'm assuming it's a connection that your particular ISP maintains with it's clientele)? If the same adapter is going around your region, then you need to hold onto the adapter. As for the rotuter, what sort of devices are you looking to pair with the router? Probable size of your apartment? Routers generally meet large floor spaces but they are reduced when walls come into play. Range is reduced when you have hollow walls as opposed to brick walls.

Preferred site for purchase?

Terminator_

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
If you already have an adapter to convert the TAE to RJ45, then you're open to pretty much any suggestions for a router. That being said, if and when you migrate to another apartment, can you ensure that you're not going to need the TAE adapter(I've never seen it in person but I'm assuming it's a connection that your particular ISP maintains with it's clientele)? If the same adapter is going around your region, then you need to hold onto the adapter. As for the rotuter, what sort of devices are you looking to pair with the router? Probable size of your apartment? Routers generally meet large floor spaces but they are reduced when walls come into play. Range is reduced when you have hollow walls as opposed to brick walls.

Preferred site for purchase?
Hi thanks for your response
I'm not sure If it is a true adapter, Its only labeled as a "DSL-Cable" and just seems to be a direct TAE to I'm assuming is RJ45, saying it fits in the LAN ports (I also struggled slightly to get it out after the fact haha)
The router would only be connecting to my PC via ethernet as it is currently, and 3 - 4 WiFi devices, inside a ~50 square meter apartment split into 2 rooms with a solid brick wall (Germany)
And yeah more then likely I'd order it from Amazon
Thanks

Not sure about that connector but it is a phone connector and your connection appears to be dsl. 100mbps is very fast for dls though.

I would check the ISP recommended modem/routers to see what works. My guess is it is a VDSL connection but you would have to be sure. Also verify that you can actually use a different router, I know that even though ATT has fairly standard DSL connections they on many of them do not allow you to use your own router.

As far as the cable goes I suspect what you need is a TAE-RJ11. What you likely can also do is get a rj45 coupler and then buy a rj45-rj11 cable. Most dsl is using the center 4 pins sp you likely could just get a rj45 coupler and plug a rj11-rj11 cable into it. The rj11 cable will fit into rj45 jacks but it will be hard to remove and may push in deeper that you really want but it will work since the pins align.

Terminator_

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
I would check the ISP recommended modem/routers to see what works. My guess is it is a VDSL connection but you would have to be sure. Also verify that you can actually use a different router, I know that even though ATT has fairly standard DSL connections they on many of them do not allow you to use your own router.

As far as the cable goes I suspect what you need is a TAE-RJ11. What you likely can also do is get a rj45 coupler and then buy a rj45-rj11 cable. Most dsl is using the center 4 pins sp you likely could just get a rj45 coupler and plug a rj11-rj11 cable into it. The rj11 cable will fit into rj45 jacks but it will be hard to remove and may push in deeper that you really want but it will work since the pins align.
My ISP only shows Partnered Routers for its recommended, but I believe I've asked before and they told me I could use any.
I've already sent back the ASUS AC68U Router that uses the ADSL RJ11 connection, I'd prefer to use a Router that uses the TAE-RJ45 I already have routed around, and this cable didn't work with the ASUS AC68U

You are going to have to search for a router that has a RJ45 DSL port. All the ones I have seen have rj11 but maybe they sell different version of routers in different countries.

I suspect it is going to be far easier to find a way to use rj11 cables. This is a example of a converter, I know nothing about this particular product it is purely to show that they use a RJ45 coupler and a short rj45-rj11 cable

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Adapt...le+to+rj11+male+adapter&qid=1622911315&sr=8-3

Terminator_

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
You are going to have to search for a router that has a RJ45 DSL port. All the ones I have seen have rj11 but maybe they sell different version of routers in different countries.

I suspect it is going to be far easier to find a way to use rj11 cables. This is a example of a converter, I know nothing about this particular product it is purely to show that they use a RJ45 coupler and a short rj45-rj11 cable

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Adapt...le+to+rj11+male+adapter&qid=1622911315&sr=8-3
If I were to use the ASUS DSL-AC68U, using a RJ45 to 11 cable, Would this effect my internet speeds? Or would it be best if I just bought the provided FRITZ!Box that uses RJ45 DSL

The cable connector doesn't matter a lot it just plastic holding the same wires in place just in different physical configurations.

The speed you get is based on how good the DSL signal you get is. I suspect both routers will be more or less the same since the bottleneck is going to be the DSL connection. The wifi on both is going to be faster than the DSL. Most the difference will be software features and only you can decide which is important and which is not.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS