What monitor adapter do I use specifically for dual-monitor for sli cards?

Davvn

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
First of all, I just want to say that my knowledge on computers is not extensive which is why I have resorted to seeking advice from you fine folks on the matter so please don't judge too harshly if my question regarding my issue is quite a simple fix. I am currently using two nvidia gtx 760's which are sli with two BENQ monitors one is a (GW2450) and the other a (GW2250), the difference being merely in size and I have been attempting to have a dual monitor setup while keeping my graphics cards sli, unfortunately, I have not been able to due to what I believe the problem being is not using the correct cables or adapters. I know I have to keep both monitors plugged into my primary card (both monitors btw do not have hdmi ports) so I have defaulted to using the DVI and DVI-D ports on the primary card. Now, I have purchased DVI and DVI-D adapters and Y-cables but have continuously been unsuccessful with my dual-monitor setup using these cables, I gauge my success based upon the simple fact I can't even get my second monitor to be detected in the nvidia control panel..at all. At this point I would just like to know the recommended cables that I need to purchase in order to achieve my dual-monitor setup while keeping my graphic cards sli. I appreciate any and all help.

Solution

I looked at the specs for your cards and your monitors. Both cards have 2 DVI connections; one is a DVI-I, the other a DVI-D. Both your...
It might be a size situation. Are you trying to span the two monitors so you have a wider field of view when gaming ie. when playing a game, say F1 or Call of Duty, both screens are showing you the frame or location you are in? If that is the case Nvidia told me the monitors must be the same size (I tried it with my 19" Dell secondary and 24" Dell primary).

If you just want two montiors ( my 19" ususally displays hardware information, temps, etc. while I game on my 24". Or I spread my open windows over both monitors when working) then you should be able to hook 'em up with a DVI cable to each.
UPDATE; 7:52P.M. pdt Just did a little more research regarding surround gaming, and some people are saying the monitors must be the same resolution.
Make sure they are both set to 1920 X 1080.

Davvn

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

Thank you for responding to my post so quickly but unfortunately I don't believe that will help for my current situation. I am not attempting to span my field of view but simply trying to have my secondary monitor used as extra desktop space or to have other internet browsers and or programs up on the screen while playing games on my primary monitor at the same time all the while keeping my gtx 760's SLI'd. Also, I can't change the resolution on the second monitor because of the adapters I have used never allow for the second monitor to be detected in the nvidia control panel. I have done some research on the web on whether or not I am capable of doing so with my setup and from what I could tell my system components are more than compatible for what I am trying to achieve. What I am more curious about is whether or not I am using the right monitor adapters which I suspect I am not and if so what are the recommended adapters I should buy? The only time I was successful in achieving my dual-monitor setup with my cards SLI'd was when i used the main DVI port and the hdmi port on my primary card but I could only use that hdmi port b/c I had hooked it up to my tv at the time to test it, unfortunately, that is not the preferred setup I would like seeing how I am limited on space due to my setup and of course would love to just use my BENQ GW2250 rather than my tv. (also, my BENQ monitors do not have hdmi ports so i can't use an hdmi cord as my adapter). Essentially, I need to know what are the adapters needed so I can plug those bad boys into my primary card and of course run them to my monitors 8)
(Note:The second monitor is not detected in the nvidia control panel which is the end result of using these adapters/cables, this is what makes me suspect I am using the wrong ones).
Just for added detail, these are the types of monitor adapters and cables I have purchased and attempted to use to achieve my dual-monitor setup: 6ft DVI-I male to DVI-D male and HD15 VGA male video splitter cable, DVI (24+1) to VGA adapter DVI-D dual link (25 pin) to VGA - M/F. <---got a 5-pack for that last one to ensure I didn't get faulty adapters, I had read online people having bought some.

You only need DVI cords. DVI-D connectors on both ends. Connect to your video cards dvi connectors and then to the monitors' DVI connections.
In the NV control panel, click" configure SLI, Surround, Physix " and in that window make sure you select maximise 3D performance. Then click apply.
Now go to Set Up Multiple Displays and see if your secondary monitor is there. If not, open the Windows Control Panel, select Display, then select Change Display Settings. In here click the drop down menu for Multiple displays . I clicked 'extend these displays'.
Sorry, its late and I am losing track of helpful ideas. Give these a try and repost, I should be back on for a short time mid day tomorrow.

Davvn

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

So I have discovered that on both of my monitors I only have two ports each, one being a D-SUB port and the other a DVI-D. Also, I figured out that I have been using VGA cables and DVI-D adapters to connect to the monitors. I attempted with many different variations after heeding your advice with my VGA to DVI-D adapters only to find that my monitors would not display anything at all. If I am using VGA cables as well as not having a DVI port on either monitor, am I ultimately unable to achieve my goal? and the problem exists with my monitors not having the correct ports?
As well, my nivida gtx 760 only has three types of ports: DVI, DVI-D, and HDMI. I'm assuming I need monitors with DVI ports and or a HDMI port.
Thank you again for your time and consideration, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate any and all help on the matter at hand.

Davvn

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
In my last reply to you I pretty much figured out that it was indeed my monitors and them not having the sufficient ports in order to achieve dual-monitors with nvidia gtx 760's SLI'd. I was not only using the incorrect adapters/cables setup but my monitors were also the culprit. Once again, I appreciate all the advice and help that was given, it allowed me to better understand the issue. Looks like ill be looking at getting another BENQ with not only an HDMI port but a DVI port and I believe that should allow me to get my dual-monitor setup that I have so eagerly been wanting. Thanks Nostall! :)

I looked at the specs for your cards and your monitors. Both cards have 2 DVI connections; one is a DVI-I, the other a DVI-D. Both your monitor have a DVI connection (couldn't tell which type, but it shouldn't matter). Using your primary card: Attach a DVI cable to each DVI port. Then attach one cable to monitor #1 and the other to #2. It should work.
That's how mine are hooked up.
Stop messing with VGA cables and adapters, they aren't designed to transfer data correctly to a digital input; Order some inexpensive DVI cables. Just make certain that they will plug into/connect to the monitors.Heres a link to help you determine the correct connector;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
And here's a source for cables:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=dvi+cable&N=100006519&isNodeId=1

Solution

Davvn

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

Thankyou! :D

You are very welcome. Repost and let us know when and how you got it working.

Davvn

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
I'm looking at that link that you provided me and I am just curious about something. My graphics card has those three available ports as I have said before: one being a DVI, second being a DVI-D and the third an HDMI port. What I am wondering is when looking at the link you gave me, would I be purchasing two seperate DVI-D to DVI-D cables and hooking them up from one port on the primary card and then running that other end to a monitor and if doing so is it okay to plug in a DVI-D cable adapter into the DVI (ya know, the one with the paddle like a DVI-D but has four pins around it) port on my primary card? I know it will actually plug into the port but what I'm more worried about is buying yet another adapter/cable and plugging that in and either A) not receiving an image or B) the monitor not being detected b/c I am using the wrong hardware. I'm apologize if I am over complicating the matter, I really just want to be certain seeing how this would be my third attempt at buying adapters/cables.

I thought I was pretty clear. Buy two cables (safest bet is two DVI-D cable) plug one cable into each port on the card and one cable into each of your monitors. NO adapter, no splitting cables.
Once hooked up as described if your system doesn't see both monitors then there might be some other problem: But until it is properly connected, you'll never know.

Davvn

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

Well, I was simply trying to be certain. I will go ahead and get those cables and see what happens. Thanks again for all the help.