What monitor? GTX 970 SLI

KashAlmond

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
I am planning on building a new pc soon, and I want to make sure that my system can run on three 23inch 60Hz 1080p monitors at High-Max settings at at least an average of 50-60fps:

FX-8350 OC
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
16gb Hyperx Fury
850w Cooler Master RS850 80+ Gold
2tb Seagate HHD x2
2x Gtx 970 (maybe OC)

Would I not experience tearing with 3 60Hz monitors, or would I still get tearing?

Solution

HumdrumPenguin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Unless your video cards give you exactly 60 fps on a 60hz monitor, you'll get tearing no matter what. If you don't want it, just use vsync or set a frame rate limit of 60 fps on rivatuner (in this last case, you'll still get some tearing once in a while).

1) As said, you must use VSYNC etc so you need to be able to output 60FPS+ for 60Hz monitors to synch at 60FPS.

*Your system is capable of doing this, however it VARIES by the game. In some games you will need to drop the game quality settings.

(I personally prefer a single 27", 2560x1440 monitor. It's expensive but an Asus G-Sync Swift for $800 is aweseome. There's also NO SCREEN TEAR issue when using G-Sync. If interested go to NVidia and read about G-Sync)

2) Do NOT build with an AMD CPU for a high-end gaming rig or you'll be bottlenecking many games severely. For the money you are planning to invest you should be using THIS CPU:

i7-4790K

Example build: ("build" on pcpartpicker to ask people for advice)

- i7-4790K
- Noctua NH-U12S (CPU cooler)
- Asus Z97-A (or Asus Maximus Hero VII)
- 16GB (2x8GB) 1866MHz CAS9 DDR3
- 120GB Samsung 840 EVO (use Samsung Magician to setup)
- 1x 3TB Seagate HDD
- 2x GTX970 (i.e. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 1.17GHz model)
- 750W/850W PSU
- Windows 8.1 64-bit
- Start8 from Stardock ($5; for W8 Start Menu etc)
- case etc.

*I noticed you had 2x2TB for HDD. If that's for redundancy with RAID1 then fine. Keep it. If it's so it's "faster" for gaming then I wouldn't bother as it only affects load times but having both drives spin up might get annoying.

What I'd do in this case is get a second 120GB or 250GB SSD and assign it as your "second" Steam folder then use it for games like SKYRIM which load new map points frequently. Again, for most games it really doesn't matter the drive speed.

You can MOVE games between the main Steam folder (say on your 3TB HDD at "E:\Steam") to the second SSD (F-drive?). To MOVE games you do this:
a) Create a 2nd steam folder (one time only)
b) Backup game in Steam
c) Delete Local Content for game
d) Restore game but choose second Steam folder
e) Delete Backup (I keep only for ones like Skyrim with mods so I can restore if needed)

Other:
Do a backup IMAGE of the Windows drive and store on the other drive. Acronis True Image Free (for WD), or the paid version (can automated backups). For Seagate DiscWizard Free (same as Acronis True Image Free).

KashAlmond

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014

Damn wish I knew that earlier, already have the cpu, I can always exchange it.

Screen wise I am thinking Acer GM246HLBbid, as you and others have said 60hz would need Vsync. Plus the acer is 144hz so at least there shouldn't be any tearing right?

no you will get tearing if you don't use vsync period. What you want is a Gsync monitor. Then you can have your variable frame rate and the monitor adjusts its refresh rate to suit. Then you probably wouldnt bother changing the cpu because your frame rate will feel buttery smooth without input lag even at 40fps.

Solution