[SOLVED] What monitor should I buy in 2021 with a 980ti?

Aug 13, 2021
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a new monitor in 2021 to get the best balance between performance and visuals with my current hardware setup (see attached link for dxdiag). I am currently using an old FHD television as a monitor because my old PC monitor kicked the bucket alongside my stock 980ti (I still love this card!). I am considering 4k, 1440 or even FHD at 27" but I am not sure what the best choice is. I am not concerned with refresh rates too much sinc I am not a FPS gamer but rather an avid Mmorper. I am not sure what it is called but "colour spectrum" is really important to me, I would like to clearly differentiate between blacks, whites and all the greys in-between (eg. If something is in a shadow I want to see that object clearly not have it washed in darkness without being able to tell anything is there), while also having a really nice resolution without impacting my performance too much (I am happy with 60fps).

Thanks for any suggestions folks!

https://files.fm/f/256pchv6j

Solution
Even if you are not playing FPS games, for any kind of gaming on 4k a 980ti will struggle in 2021. 1440p might be as far as you can go, even then you might have to tweak some settings on @60hz...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s11U9eGRsFk&t=725s

For the best color gamut a IPS panel would be ideal...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Monitor | Acer EB321HQU Cbidpx 31.5" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor | $229.99 @ Walmart
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $229.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-13 11:35 EDT-0400 |
Even if you are not playing FPS games, for any kind of gaming on 4k a 980ti will struggle in 2021. 1440p might be as far as you can go, even then you might have to tweak some settings on @60hz...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s11U9eGRsFk&t=725s

For the best color gamut a IPS panel would be ideal...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Monitor | Acer EB321HQU Cbidpx 31.5" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor | $229.99 @ Walmart
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $229.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-13 11:35 EDT-0400 |

Reactions: DREADM0RE
Solution
Aug 13, 2021
Thank you for your reply and the video suggestion! I will see if I can find the Acer you suggested locally (importing things into my country atm is tough). I did find a 4k IPS being sold locally, namely the LG 27UL500. I agree on the card would be struggling in 4k, but since this 4k monitor is local and and IPS could I not just downscale the resolution to 1440p? Or will that just be terrible?

Thank you for your reply and the video suggestion! I will see if I can find the Acer you suggested locally (importing things into my country atm is tough). I did find a 4k IPS being sold locally, namely the LG 27UL500. I agree on the card would be struggling in 4k, but since this 4k monitor is local and and IPS could I not just downscale the resolution to 1440p? Or will that just be terrible?
You can always tweak your settings and adjust as per the game you play, its just that you can't get the max eye candy if that is your thing. Even on 1440p you might have to tweak in some very demanding games.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

1440p tends to look a bit blecch on a 4K native display, especially text.