Question What monitor to buy? - or upgrade/build a new PC around it?

mavors

Reputable
Jan 9, 2019
My current monitor Asus VE278Q 27.0" 1920 x 1080 Monitor at 60hz finally died. My current PC specs/parts are at pcpartpicker Current Build. From what I read online (here, reddit, etc.) my GPU AMD RX580 8GB won't support a 1440p at 144hz monitor. So do I:
  • upgrade my GPU and other parts as needed to support a 1440p at 144hz/240hz monitor (now)?
  • or buy a 1080p monitor that may be obsolete once I upgrade in the future (within next 5 years)?
  • or buy a 4k monitor 240hz (top of the line monitor) for future proofing (upgrading over 5-10 years)?
My options for best monitors at 1440p are:
My options for best monitors at 1080p are:
My options for best monitors at 4K are:
I generally play FPS games (PUBG/CS:GO) but also play Cities Skylines, Civ 5/6, and SC2. I do 90% of my work in Excel and will use this monitor with my work laptop. I technically don't have a budget cap but don't really want to spend $5k on a new setup as I'm very much as best bang for your buck type of person. So what do you recommend? Thank you.

Solution
Since your monitor have died would be best to replace it with 1080 monitor and then save up in future for new GPU and monitor that way you can still game while you save up or buy monitor now the one your going to like and lower the settings until you get better gpu and stuff.

I just bought Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 at 240hz today and checked the G7 and cost me 1 or 2 pounds more because G8 was on offer but there options to change it to 60HZ while you wait for upgrade and still have 4k. My control panal and change resolution cant seem to find 60hz not unless click on 4k+2k 3840X2160 then it will give me 60hz
Since your monitor have died would be best to replace it with 1080 monitor and then save up in future for new GPU and monitor that way you can still game while you save up or buy monitor now the one your going to like and lower the settings until you get better gpu and stuff.

I just bought Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 at 240hz today and checked the G7 and cost me 1 or 2 pounds more because G8 was on offer but there options to change it to 60HZ while you wait for upgrade and still have 4k. My control panal and change resolution cant seem to find 60hz not unless click on 4k+2k 3840X2160 then it will give me 60hz

Last edited:
Solution