What monitor to pair best with a GTX 970?

Steven Villarreal

Honorable
May 26, 2014
I've been looking around for a good Monitor for my PC since I have a crappy old dell one. These two monitors I've been looking at specifically the LG 34UC79G-B and the Acer R240HY bidx.

I know they are two completely different style monitors but I don't know which one would look better or run smoother and nicer with my pc. I want to have a good resolution as I have never gamed on a good monitor before and this is my first purchase ever on a PC monitor. Also having a Ultra wide monitor is a plus as well. My specs are a AMD FX-6300 CPU, 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance 1866 Memory and a GTX 970.

I guess what i'm trying to say is which one would look a lot nicer and run smoother. If there are any other monitors that would look nicer that would match up with my system really well feel free to put that in your answer as well.

Thanks.

Solution
The expensive one would obviously look better. :) You won't be able to use its FreeSync but you will still have Vsync at 144Hz which isn't shabby compared to Vsync at 60Hz on the cheaper one. They're both IPS and I wouldn't be surprised if Acer uses LG panels as LG makes some of the most price competitive IPS panels these days. So, the colours probably look fairly similar (i.e. similarly inaccurate as lower priced IPS panels aren't factory calibrated).
I think, one thing you might want to add to your search for your best option is monitors that support Gsync. The 500 buck price on the bigger one of yours means you should be able to find one or two within that price range. Gsync is Nvidia's proprietary version of adaptive sync...

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
The expensive one would obviously look better. :) You won't be able to use its FreeSync but you will still have Vsync at 144Hz which isn't shabby compared to Vsync at 60Hz on the cheaper one. They're both IPS and I wouldn't be surprised if Acer uses LG panels as LG makes some of the most price competitive IPS panels these days. So, the colours probably look fairly similar (i.e. similarly inaccurate as lower priced IPS panels aren't factory calibrated).
I think, one thing you might want to add to your search for your best option is monitors that support Gsync. The 500 buck price on the bigger one of yours means you should be able to find one or two within that price range. Gsync is Nvidia's proprietary version of adaptive sync while FreeSync only works on AMD graphics cards.
Personally I warmly recommend the ultrawide format. Gaming is a lot more fun on those compared to regular 16:9. Some games doesn't like to be "stretched" but that's thankfully becoming rare these days.

Solution

Steven Villarreal

Honorable
May 26, 2014

So you suggest looking for an ips ultrawide monitor but with g sync? Would it run good with my system?

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Depends on what you bar for 'good' is. A GTX 970 should be able to run most games at pretty high settings on a 1080p ultrawide. I have an RX480 with a similar display and I'm not in agony. Yes, you are probably going to have to look for a new GPU relatively soon, but... That's how gaming works. :)
Gsync will definitely help, no matter what, as the purpose of adaptive sync is to keep the smooth vertical sync going even if your frame rate drops. Check the Gync frequency range on the monitors you look at, some displays support lower lows than others.