Question What monitors to get for my setup?

Jul 17, 2019
Hey guys. I currently have a GTX 1080ti and a i7-8086k setup.

I was wondering, what the best dual/triple monitor setup would be for me?

I want to get a 144hz 1440p monitor for my main display for gaming, I wanted to know if it'd be possible to do that with two other 1080p monitors on the sides, one being a 144hz 1080p and one being a 60hz 1080p. Please let me know if that's possible, or what exactly I should get, thank you!

Jul 17, 2019
Hey guys I have a GTX 1080ti and a i7 8086k and want to upgrade my monitors.

I wanted to ask, is it possible for me to do a 144hz 1440p dual monitor setup? Or is that pointless?
Or if it's possible to get one 144hz 1440p monitor and one 144hz 1080p monitor, would that mess up anything in terms of when im gaming? I'd appreciate some help.

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
You only want your main monitor to be high refreshrate unless you are going to use surround display mode but for that you want 3 monitors with identical colors at least. resolution probably doesn't matter that much since you're mostly going to look at the middle one. You probably aren't going to reach such high framerates with 3 monitors to benefit from 144Hz anyways.

Never do surround with 2 monitors since the middle will be the 2 edges.

I would go for a 1440p 144 hz ips middle and a 1080p/1440p 60hz ips 2nd, going 1440p on all monitors will prevent scaling problems with windows that will make icons smaller or if you scale it up text will get blurry.

If I was unclear anywhere feel free to ask

Jul 17, 2019
You only want your main monitor to be high refreshrate unless you are going to use surround display mode but for that you want 3 monitors with identical colors at least. resolution probably doesn't matter that much since you're mostly going to look at the middle one. You probably aren't going to reach such high framerates with 3 monitors to benefit from 144Hz anyways.

Never do surround with 2 monitors since the middle will be the 2 edges.

I would go for a 1440p 144 hz ips middle and a 1080p/1440p 60hz ips 2nd, going 1440p on all monitors will prevent scaling problems with windows that will make icons smaller or if you scale it up text will get blurry.

If I was unclear anywhere feel free to ask

Ah okay this is exactly what I was looking for!

Would it be fine if I did a 1440p 144hz as my main display and a 1080p 144hz as my secondary display?

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Ah okay this is exactly what I was looking for!

Would it be fine if I did a 1440p 144hz as my main display and a 1080p 144hz as my secondary display?
You won't run into any problems other than the scaling issues mentioned before. However, 144hz on a monitor you won't game on is not needed and it is more worth getting a 1440p 60 Hz display as secondary as it will fix scaling issues and make media nicer on that display.

Also remember to go into Nvidia control panel or amd/intel equivalent and change refresh rate to 144 hz!

Jul 17, 2019
You won't run into any problems other than the scaling issues mentioned before. However, 144hz on a monitor you won't game on is not needed and it is more worth getting a 1440p 60 Hz display as secondary as it will fix scaling issues and make media nicer on that display.

Also remember to go into Nvidia control panel or amd/intel equivalent and change refresh rate to 144 hz!
Ah the reason I'm asking is because I already have a 1080p 144hz monitor and just wanted to keep that one and didn't want to buy a second 1440p monitor.

Is the scaling thing a huge issue though? If it's just the icons and stuff being different I don't mind that, but if it's going to impact gaming or anything like that, it's a problem.

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Ah the reason I'm asking is because I already have a 1080p 144hz monitor and just wanted to keep that one and didn't want to buy a second 1440p monitor.

Is the scaling thing a huge issue though? If it's just the icons and stuff being different I don't mind that, but if it's going to impact gaming or anything like that, it's a problem.
Ah makes sense, Just make sure that the scaling is 100% and you won't run into any problems, gaming isn't effected but moving windows between screens will make it blurry sometimes since the scaling won't change when moving things when you're not at 100%.

I ran the same display setup without issues before. But consider selling the 144hz monitor to buy a 1080p ips or something since ips is better for media consumption, that's what I did and it's quite nice.

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Just keep your icons on the main display. Problem solved.
The issue is that people are usually used to icons at 1080p and icons at 1440p will be 25% smaller and people will usually turn scaling to 125% to prevent that but when using different resolutions the scaling will be different on your monitors and that will make text blurry if you move it across screens if the program doesn't support different scales. You do get used to the smaller icons tho so I recommend not scaling up.

The issue is that people are usually used to icons at 1080p and icons at 1440p will be 25% smaller and people will usually turn scaling to 125% to prevent that but when using different resolutions the scaling will be different on your monitors and that will make text blurry if you move it across screens if the program doesn't support different scales. You do get used to the smaller icons tho so I recommend not scaling up.
Point taken, however I have a 3440x1440p ultrawide and the icons aren't too small for me. The topic is definitely subjective. Also in Windows 10 you don't have to scale the settings. You can select to have larger icons by right clicking the desktop > view > large icons.

Last edited: