Question What motherboard and Splitters

JacobiOneKanobi

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
So I'm making an rgb build out of the Darkflash phantom and Darkflash 240mm cou cooler. So 8 fans(rgb). What mobo should I use. And also what splitters? Please help.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
Which particular motherboard were you thinking of?

So what you would do is buy an RGB fan hub. Plug all your RGB fans into it. Using one or two splitters if needed.

Then one connection goes from the RGB fan hub to your motherboard's aura sync header. You then use the aura sync software to program the lighting.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
I think they are the same, not 100%
SEE BELOW

From your motherboard spec sheet
Internal I/O Ports
1 x Aura Addressable Strip Header(s)
1 x AAFP connector
2 x Aura RGB Strip Header(s)
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1(up to 5Gbps) connector(s) support(s) additional 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s)
2 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 2.0 port(s)
1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
6 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)
1 x M.2_FAN connector
1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s)
2 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
1 x W_PUMP+ connector
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x System panel(s) (Chassis intrusion header is inbuilt)
1 x 5-pin EXT_FAN(Extension Fan) connector
1 x MemOK! II switch(es)
1 x Thermal sensor connector(s)
1 x CPU OV
1 x Clear CMOS jumper(s)
1 x Node Connector(s)
1 x 14-1 pin TPM connector
1 x COM port header
1 x AIO PUMP Header
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector

" from asus forum ;
The "simple English" ...

Non-addressable RGBs, the whole strip/array of RGB LEDs displays one colour at any time. This colour can transition, shift, breath/pulse, etc, across the entire RGB LED colour spectrum - and AURA provides a variety of snazzy themes/effects - but every RGB LED is always exactly the same colour as all its neighbours at any given instant, the whole strip is "all or nothing".

Addressable RGBs, each RGB LED (or segment/block of RGB LEDs) can display a different colour and intensity than its neighbours. Some could be lit in one colour or lit in another or more intense or less intense while others are simultaneously displaying something else. Everything that non-addressable RGB does but more fancy animation/striping/chasing effects are possible. Higher cost and complexity.

Each of these little LEDs uses a tiny amount of electrical power when lit and they all add up, there are limits to how many you can daisy chain or branch off each motherboard header.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides...-rgb-lighting/
https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximu...strip-headers/
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboa...ble-LED-Strip/

Z270/MAXIMUS IX APEX = not addressable (I think)
Z370/MAXIMUS X APEX = not addressable
X299/RAMPAGE VI APEX = addressable

I wouldn't personally make (addressable) RGB LED a priority when selecting a motherboard. For me it's just a "nice to have" but very optional and very much less important than other motherboard parameters (one of which is cost, assuming all other things are equal). Fully addressable RGB functionality can always be added later through chassis or add-on accessories, if/when needed. But I do understand that my priorities aren't for everyone. "

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
Ok so basically Should I plug my fan hub into a rgb or argb header. And what about the wire solution. How will all the cables reach should I get rgb extensions

The more expensive controller I linked includes 4 extensions. You could shop around and find a cheaper unit for sure. But yeh you plug everything into the hub then connect it to argb or rgb header.

You don't NEED a fan hub. You could just use a 4 to one splitter for the front four fans and plug that into #1 aura sync header.
Then use two 2 to 1 splitters for the rear two fans and the two radiator fans. The splitter will act as extensions so you probably dont need to worry too
much about cable length.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
Thanks so much. But whats the difference between the cpu fan header and cpu opt fan header. Can I just use a splitter for the liquid cooler fans and use the cpu opt for my other fans

cpu opt just means optional, I think it's for a pump for open loop systems. You want to connect all the fans to aura rgb headers for rgb control. If you connect the front fans to cpu opt you won't have any RGB control.