[SOLVED] What motherboard do I need for this to work (if it is possible)?

Jun 30, 2019
I would like to upgrade my computer because my current one isn't working that well. I was thinking about different components that I could get but I am having a really hard time because I don't know what motherboard to buy:

I am currently using an RX 480 (4gb) and I would like to keep that graphics card because it is good enough.
I want to upgrade my CPU and RAM (preferably i7 6700k and 16GB RAM because I want to keep the price at a reasonable amount). I don't know which motherboard / RAM to get so it'd be great if someone could tell me what I need to get and if it is even possible.
I also don't know if I need to get a new fan (I have an air cooled computer and I am unable to afford water cooling).

I'd be very happy if someone could help me solve this problem :)

Solution
Ah... the FX CPUs. You should see a decent increase in performance then (in workloads relying on good IPC).

The 6th gen Intels are fine, and with the right motherboard and BIOS you could go up to an i7-7700k. The main downside is it's limited at 4c/8t which is starting to show its limitations in some modern AAA games (if they're what you're interested in). Plus there is no further upgrade path for the CPU if more cores/threads are required.

AMD's Ryzen is broadly seen as good value, so the Ryzen 7 2700X is certainly an option. But with the Ryzen 3000 series nearly here.... I would suggest you wait a bit more to see how those turn out. Might even see some price adjustments (even from Intel if rumours are to be believed) which might...
Jun 30, 2019
I have an RX 480 (4gb) graphics card, FX 6300 6 core processor, 8gb RAM, don't know the motherboard but I know that it's only compatible with AMD, 110GB hard drive for Windows 10 (Pro) and a 1 TB hard drive (I think that's all you need to know, I am not sure tho)
I am willing to spend something around 750€, preferably less. (~850 USD)

Also another thought I had was getting an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (8-core) processor because many people have told me that it is a good CPU and I am also able to afford that one.

Ah... the FX CPUs. You should see a decent increase in performance then (in workloads relying on good IPC).

The 6th gen Intels are fine, and with the right motherboard and BIOS you could go up to an i7-7700k. The main downside is it's limited at 4c/8t which is starting to show its limitations in some modern AAA games (if they're what you're interested in). Plus there is no further upgrade path for the CPU if more cores/threads are required.

AMD's Ryzen is broadly seen as good value, so the Ryzen 7 2700X is certainly an option. But with the Ryzen 3000 series nearly here.... I would suggest you wait a bit more to see how those turn out. Might even see some price adjustments (even from Intel if rumours are to be believed) which might work in your favour. After release I would suggest you post again about a new build with budget and see what builds are possible for your budget.

Solution