[SOLVED] What motherboard has most amount of CPU sockets and is reasonably priced?

Apr 18, 2021
Hey,

I'm planning on doing some CPU intensive task and would require a motherboard that can take multiple CPUs.

I have about 10 Intel Xeon E7-4880 (socket: FCLGA2011) processors lying around but I'm open to buying something new as well.

The goal is to have the most amount of computing power and stay reasonably under budget. $5k would be a sweet spot.

Solution
You sell the 10 xeon from 2014 and you use that money + your budget and you build yourself a 64 Cores Threadripper 3990X system.

It will be a breeze compared to buying 1-2 quad CPU used motherboard and try making all of this work with those xeon CPU.

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
I have no idea of the pricing unfortunately but I had a quick look and found a motherboard that fits 4 of those cpu's. Look here.

From what I was reading about those cpus's the motherboard has to have c602j chipset, and socket R1 LGA2011 ... is not a normal LGA 2011 socket, but a special variation.

Actually I just did a quick search on ebay and came up with some hits. Hopefully the link will still work for a while ... go here. There is a note on the manufacturers details that you need version 2 of the board.

Quote:
Note: E7-48XX/88XX v3 family requires
Rev. 2.0x or above boards with Jordan
Creek II

{GoofyOne's 2c worth ..... what can I say, us retirees get bored and need something to do :geek:}

Last edited:
You sell the 10 xeon from 2014 and you use that money + your budget and you build yourself a 64 Cores Threadripper 3990X system.

It will be a breeze compared to buying 1-2 quad CPU used motherboard and try making all of this work with those xeon CPU.

Solution