What motherboard should I buy? (First Build)

Roberto OD

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
This is my first build so any feedback is more than welcome.

My build so far:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gsBY0sLTVU6n6alaGWmdPvu9ywTZlbZgoIg14lwp1YE/edit?usp=sharing

Also let me know if I am missing something, or doing something dumb.
Thank you

Update:
This Computer will be used mainly for gaming. (Will not be steaming).

The official budget is 2500, but I would love to keep it under 2000
I already have peripherals (these are not part of the budget).

Also based on comments will be moving on to a the newer i7 7700

Solution
As far as I know, the FireCuda SHDD is useless if you are not going to boot from it. It will not cache any data on it unless it boots OS from it , so speed will not be better if you store data on it, but I might be mistaken.

Kingston HyperX Savage SSD 480 GB is not going to give you anything over Samsung 850 Evo, let even 850 Pro. I love Kingston RAM, and spent that goodwill onto SSDs as well, but they simply do not make the cut. For SSDs Samsung is the way to go, when time comes to move on and sell it as second hand, any Samsung sells like hotcakes while 'exotic' things like Savage require lots of claims even for the listing to be read amd they are not sold easily. Kingstons legendary warranty-RMA for SSDs are not present for SSDs -...

VoDkA29

Prominent
May 10, 2017

Its obviously gonna be for gaming, since on the spreadsheet he put down a GTX 1080.

This is true. There may be other uses. Steaming? Productivity tasks. I could assume.

Do you have the budget too? Because there's a 1080 it's unlimited? :D Unlimited is probably reserved for the Ti.

But in all seriousness I like to know what a PC is being used for so I can offer a PC suited for their need(s).

Roberto OD

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015

Updated :)

eyupo92

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
As far as I know, the FireCuda SHDD is useless if you are not going to boot from it. It will not cache any data on it unless it boots OS from it , so speed will not be better if you store data on it, but I might be mistaken.

Kingston HyperX Savage SSD 480 GB is not going to give you anything over Samsung 850 Evo, let even 850 Pro. I love Kingston RAM, and spent that goodwill onto SSDs as well, but they simply do not make the cut. For SSDs Samsung is the way to go, when time comes to move on and sell it as second hand, any Samsung sells like hotcakes while 'exotic' things like Savage require lots of claims even for the listing to be read amd they are not sold easily. Kingstons legendary warranty-RMA for SSDs are not present for SSDs - or in my case it was nonexistent on national, European amd global level. I sweared not to touch Kingston again for anything except RAM.

If I were you, I would opt for an 500 GB NVMe disk instead of SSD for around 200-250. You have that much money on your budget. Savage/Pro/Extreme series SSDs are almost as expendive as NVMe disks anyway and a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe will carry you for lots of years to come. I urge you to make this change.

Someone mentioned SLI, but I would not try SLI on a midtower case in the past, but things may have changed in last years.

Solution

eyupo92

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
As for case fans - where do you want to place the 2 x white fans ?

The case seems to have two fans already - one in getting air in from front and pushing air around CPU region and one getting air out in back. Having a second front fan getting air in towards GPU area is a good idea.

But if you plan to install two fans to top, they will be useless - believe me I know I have three desktops with mesh top panels.

If you use it to take hot air out of the case, that is unnecessary as it will get out naturally. If you want to push fresh air from top to the case, it will get dusted very quickly - and it will not help either as you will be pushing air from 4 fans in but taking out with only one fan. 4 in - 1 out : it will quickly reach a state where fans will be spinning pointlessly.