Question What Motherboard should i buy for 3rd gen AMD Ryzen series?

Sep 24, 2019
Hello to everyone, i want to upgrade my pc from a very old I5-2320 to a Ryzen 3600. I saw various guides for which motherboard should i buy and, considered my low budget i'm uncertain to pick-up the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX or MSI B450-A Pro. Why i'm undecided? Because i have already a stock heatsink and i want to buy the Arctic Freezer 13. My problem is if i will buy the Tomahawk MAX i can't buy a new heatsink ( always for the limited budget ) but if i will buy the A Pro i can buy the heatsink (the A Pro cost less than the Tomahawk Max).

So, my questions are: which one should i pick up? Should i use the stock heatsink of Ryzen 3600 or it's better the other motherboard so i can upgrade the heatsink? What are the very BIG difference from these motherboard?

OT: i'm capable to update the bios of A Pro motherboard, i know the fact that aren't ready these motherboard ( except max series) for 3rd Ryzen generation.

Thanks to all!

Get the B450 Tomahawk MAX its one of the best motherboards at its price range. Ryzen 5 3600 comes with a cooler you can use it. Upgrading your cooler is easy you can do it later. On the other hand changing the motherboard is not that simple. Max series are out of the box compatible but plus they have bigger rom size for the bios. I have the simple B450 Tomahawk from my previous Ryzen and because of this limitation the BIOS is really bad its a lite version.

Last edited:
Reactions: greenmrt
Sep 24, 2019
Get the B450 Tomahawk MAX its one of the best motherboards at its price range. Ryzen 5 3600 comes with a cooler you can use it. Upgrading your cooler is easy you can do it later. On the other hand changing the motherboard is not that simple. Max series are out of the box compatible but plus the have bigger rom size for the bios. I have the simple B450 Tomahawk from my previous Ryzen and because of this limitation the BIOS is really bad its a light version.

Thank you! In terms of perfomance what change? And the stock heatsink is enough to cool down properly? Because i need to use, instantly, 3d render progams, not only games :sweatsmile:🤦‍♂️

Thank you! In terms of perfomance what change? And the stock heatsink is enough to cool down properly? Because i need to use, instantly, 3d render progams, not only games :sweatsmile:🤦‍♂️
Should be enough to cool it if you dont overclock. Why dont you try find am4 brackets for your Arctic Freezer? I know most companies like Noctua sell brackets for older coolers or you can contact them and send you.

Ok! Thank you so much ;) Which model from Noctua do you recommend ?
I use the NOCTUA NH u12s with Ryzen 5 3600 i get ~70C full load with 35-40C temprature where i live and a really bad airflow case it will probably drop around 10C if i only remove the front panel of the case. It should cost you around 50$ of course there are bigger coolers from noctua at 90$ price range but i believe this is more than enough for a 3600 and really silent.

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Get the Tomahawk Max and instead of the Arctic Freezer 13 get the gammax 400, its a very solid cooler for its price, would let you get the superior motherboard and still be able to afford quality cooling. Decent idle at 30 or so, and not too hot under load (also cant hear it), using an OC 3600.

ill do a bench right now for the peak temp

Sorry forgot to post, peaked at 69, cinebench 20 and highest settings heaven benchmark 4.0

Last edited:
Reactions: logainofhades