[SOLVED] What motherboard should I get for a Ryzen 5 3600?

Jun 4, 2019
What Motherboard should I get for a Ryzen 5 3600?
Some people are suggesting me to get the MSI b450M Bazooka.

Last edited:
any b450 board is good
please get it updated to match the cpu out of the box
most stores will do it for you if you ask right there and then when you buy it

b350 board are almost the same price and not all support or are 100% stable with ryzen 3rd gen so shouldn't go for that
x370 is kinda worthless
x470 is basically the same as x370 and b450 with only minor differences cause both are overclockable

and x570 boards are so expensive I would only buy one if I actually needed pcie gen 4, or if I had no more things to spend money on

Reactions: 33sakib33
Jun 4, 2019
any b450 board is good

b350 board are almost the same price and not all support or are 100% stable with ryzen 3rd gen so shouldn't go for that
x370 is kinda worthless
x470 is basically the same as x370 and b450 with only minor differences cause both are overclockable

and x570 boards are so expensive I would only buy one if I actually needed pcie gen 4, or if I had no more things to spend money on

Thank you!

And can you suggest me a casing within the range or corsair carbide spec-04 or a little better
Or is corsair carbide spec-04 good?

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
I ended up overspending on a x570 board for the I/O and out of the box bios support and the fact my local parts store had poor selection. If you have a decent store nearby that carries a board you like with support, ask them to update the bios. If not, find one of the boards that has Bios flashback so you can flash without a CPU. I think the b450m mortar is one of them, though it is on the higher midrange side of the b450 options

Last edited by a moderator:

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
any b450 board is good

If you have to pay someone to update the BIOS on a B450 board, the total cost can get very close to the lower-end X570 boards. I'm almost at the point of going for a X570 for my imminent Ryzen 3600 build for that reason. It should (at least in theory) boot right out of the box. And if the price of M.2 SSD declines sufficiently, it's probably nice to have two M.2 slots that don't disable SATA ports or reduce video bandwidth.

Crunch the numbers carefully before you decide.

If you have to pay someone to update the BIOS on a B450 board, the total cost can get very close to the lower-end X570 boards. I'm almost at the point of going for a X570 for my imminent Ryzen 3600 build for that reason. It should (at least in theory) boot right out of the box. And if the price of M.2 SSD declines sufficiently, it's probably nice to have two M.2 slots that don't disable SATA ports or reduce video bandwidth.

Crunch the numbers carefully before you decide.
what??
what m.2 slot disables sata ports?
an m.2 MIGHT have both nvme and sata capabilities meaning youll use or the other
but an m.2 is not related to the sata ports or video bandwidth
unless you mean pcie bandwidth by that which any common cpu has plenty. especially amd.

also you dont HAVE to buy another cpu to update
most X470 boards have funcionallity to bios flash with no cpu
and any new manufactured b450 will have support outta the box

and as I said before, if you buy it in a physical store, they'll usually just do it for you.

X570 are just expensive and aside from pcie 4.0 theyre quite useless

I would stick with MSI B450 boards, as most of them have BIOS flashback, insuring that you can update the BIOS to support 3rd gen Ryzen chips without needing a 1st gen or 2nd gen chip to update it.

Out of all of them, the Tomahawk and Bazooka are very good. Not sure if the bazooka has BIOS flashback, but I know for sure the Tomahawk does.

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
what??
what m.2 slot disables sata ports?
an m.2 MIGHT have both nvme and sata capabilities meaning youll use or the other
but an m.2 is not related to the sata ports or video bandwidth
unless you mean pcie bandwidth by that which any common cpu has plenty. especially amd.

The B450 has limited bandwidth, which means the M.2 implementation has to take its bandwidth from somewhere else. Most often, the M.2 slot uses the CPU's PCIe lane intended for SATA ports. Thus, installing an M.2 SSD disables the two SATA ports from the CPU. ASRock takes a different approach that makes more sense to me: Installing an M.2 SSD disables the second full-length PCIe slot. As the use of M.2 SSDs is now more common than multiple video cards, it's a more reasonable approach. On B450 boards that have two M.2 slots, the second M.2 either disables a PCIe slot or another SATA port. The pie is limited, and you have to make choices when slicing it.

also you dont HAVE to buy another cpu to update
most X470 boards have funcionallity to bios flash with no cpu
and any new manufactured b450 will have support outta the box

and as I said before, if you buy it in a physical store, they'll usually just do it for you.

That's true if you can find a physical store that carries the board you want, and can also flash the BIOS if necessary. In my area, neither Best Buy nor Fry's can flash a BIOS. I've asked them. I have found one PC repair shop that can flash a BIOS, but they'll charge me $40. That significantly narrows the gap between a B450 board and a low-end X570 (e.g., MSI X570 Gaming Plus).

The only reasonably-priced B450 boards I can find at Best Buy or Fry's are the Asus ROG B450-F and the MSI Tomahawk. I refuse to pay for LED lights and "gaming aesthetics." I have confirmed with Asus that they're not yet shipping compatible B450-F. And too many people have had problems with the Tomahawk for me to consider taking the risk. The promised Max version may or may not solve those problems, but nobody can say when it will be available.
[/QUOTE]

X570 are just expensive and aside from pcie 4.0 theyre quite useless

Unfortunately there is some truth to that. But I can't wait the six months or more it will probably take before I can be sure of getting a B450 board with a stable BIOS that works out of the box. The X570 isn't a perfect solution. But other than buying a B450 with a discounted 2600X and just enjoying it (which I've considered-- it would save me significant money) the X570 is the option most likely to avoid needless frustration.

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I would stick with MSI B450 boards, as most of them have BIOS flashback, insuring that you can update the BIOS to support 3rd gen Ryzen chips without needing a 1st gen or 2nd gen chip to update it.

That's excellent advice if you can wait until the end of the year, when the manufacturers will likely have sorted out the current problems and have a stable BIOS to flash. If you can't wait until then, the X570 is probably the way to go. It's expensive and not without its own BIOS problems, but at least it's designed around the Ryzen 3000.

The B450 has limited bandwidth, which means the M.2 implementation has to take its bandwidth from somewhere else. Most often, the M.2 slot uses the CPU's PCIe lane intended for SATA ports. Thus, installing an M.2 SSD disables the two SATA ports from the CPU. ASRock takes a different approach that makes more sense to me: Installing an M.2 SSD disables the second full-length PCIe slot. As the use of M.2 SSDs is now more common than multiple video cards, it's a more reasonable approach. On B450 boards that have two M.2 slots, the second M.2 either disables a PCIe slot or another SATA port. The pie is limited, and you have to make choices when slicing it.

That's true if you can find a physical store that carries the board you want, and can also flash the BIOS if necessary. In my area, neither Best Buy nor Fry's can flash a BIOS. I've asked them. I have found one PC repair shop that can flash a BIOS, but they'll charge me $40. That significantly narrows the gap between a B450 board and a low-end X570 (e.g., MSI X570 Gaming Plus).

The only reasonably-priced B450 boards I can find at Best Buy or Fry's are the Asus ROG B450-F and the MSI Tomahawk. I refuse to pay for LED lights and "gaming aesthetics." I have confirmed with Asus that they're not yet shipping compatible B450-F. And too many people have had problems with the Tomahawk for me to consider taking the risk. The promised Max version may or may not solve those problems, but nobody can say when it will be available.

Unfortunately there is some truth to that. But I can't wait the six months or more it will probably take before I can be sure of getting a B450 board with a stable BIOS that works out of the box. The X570 isn't a perfect solution. But other than buying a B450 with a discounted 2600X and just enjoying it (which I've considered-- it would save me significant money) the X570 is the option most likely to avoid needless frustration.
[/QUOTE]
didnt know b450 boards work like that.
I rock a z370 with an i7 8700k with 1 m.2 nvme ssd and 4 sata ports connected
works nice here
thanks for telling me, ill be sure to test that next time I build a b450 system