techflame700

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018
I am going to be using an i5 9600K. I am deciding between the Gigabyte Z370XP SLI and the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X. I kinda want to use the Z370XP SLI because of its additional USB headers and a better audio chip but I am worried about compatibility. Will the Z370XP SLI ship with a compatible BIOS? Should I risk getting the Z370XP SLI? Thanks!

Solution
You are right, it is a risk. Since that board does not have a flashback type feature, if you happen to get a board with an early BIOS version you will need an 8th gen CPU to update the BIOS, or take it to a shop or send it to Gigabyte. None of which are particularly appealing options. I'd stick to Z390 if you are going with a 9th gen processor unless you can confirm with the vendor that it will have a compatible BIOS version already. That way, if there is a problem you can put it on them for having indicated it would support it. Even then, you'll have to deal with the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a refund. Not worth the hassle IMO.
You are right, it is a risk. Since that board does not have a flashback type feature, if you happen to get a board with an early BIOS version you will need an 8th gen CPU to update the BIOS, or take it to a shop or send it to Gigabyte. None of which are particularly appealing options. I'd stick to Z390 if you are going with a 9th gen processor unless you can confirm with the vendor that it will have a compatible BIOS version already. That way, if there is a problem you can put it on them for having indicated it would support it. Even then, you'll have to deal with the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a refund. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Reactions: thetiesthatbind2018
Solution

techflame700

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018
Sorry for the late response. I’m just going to go for the Z390 since I don’t have a spare Coffee Lake CPU.