Question What motherboard to go with Ryzen 5 3600?

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Hello!
I recently bought all the parts for a build, including an Asrock Fatal1ty x470 GAMING K4 motherboard. The mobo's product page on newegg says "Ryzen 3000 ready", it's even in the product name... But when the mobo got here, I built the PC and it just powered on for a short time, then powered back off, back on and repeat. (Building PC for myself and brother, so ordered 2x of everything, tried 2 different motherboards with 2 different CPU's, same result)

I asked for help here on the forums and was told to check the bio's version to make sure it was actually compatible. The board says p3.20 and the asrock website says p3.30 is required to run ryzen 3rd gen, after a long day of arguing with customer service to get my money back, I'm now paranoid about what board to get... Obviously just because it says it's ryzen 3000 ready does not mean that it is.

I don't want to jump through the hoops to get an AMD bootkit to update bios. I want a mobo to arrive 100% ready to plug the Ryzen 5 3600 in and go. Everything I ordered for the PC that has LEDs are red, so I'd prefer suggestions with red LEDs but at this point I'll just take anything that I can be confident will work!

I'd also highly prefer to stick with Asrock. They're my favorite board and pretty much the only board I use. But again... If I can buy it knowing it will work, doesn't HAVE to be Asrock.

I'm currently looking at the Asrock x470 Taichi Ultimate. Newegg CLAIMS it's 3000 ready, but I'm paranoid about it because it said the same thing for the K4. The Taichi Ult also has white LEDs, but like I said, if it for sure works, they don't have to be red at this point.

EDIT: Mobo also needs to be compatible with Geforce GTX 1660 TI GPU and Seasonic 750w 80+ Gold full modular PSU. Here's the current parts (including the non-working mobo)

Asrock x470 GAMING K4 "Ryzen 3000 Ready"
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (Only piece bought from amazon)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 16gb (2x 8gb)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-750, 750W 80+ Gold
Case: DIYPC Skyline-06-WR Black/Red

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the MSI boards that end with the word MAX are actually ryzen 3000 ready. the MAX on the MSI board signifies the BIOS has been upgraded already. other makers may use max and it have another or no meaning at all but the MSI boards with MAX are what you are looking for, plug and play and done.
short of the MAX boards the X5xx boards are ryzen 3000 ready.

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Not at all a fan of MSI. I'd probably go with an ASUS x570 before I go with any MSI board. The Asus X570-P looks kind of nice and I'm considering doing research on that. A lot of people seem to agree it works out of box with 3rd gen. Do all x570 boards work out of box with 3rd gen by any chance?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Not at all a fan of MSI. I'd probably go with an ASUS x570 before I go with any MSI board. The Asus X570-P looks kind of nice and I'm considering doing research on that. A lot of people seem to agree it works out of box with 3rd gen. Do all x570 boards work out of box with 3rd gen by any chance?

yes the x570 chipset and boards are made for the ryzen 3000 chips. like the x4xx board were made for the 2000 ryzen chips.

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Thanks! So I'll just get a x570 instead then.

Right now my prime research target is the Asus x570 TUF GAMING motherboard. Can anyone here offer their opinions on this board for me to check back on before I make a final decision? I've also considered the Gigabyte Auros Elite, but from what I've read so far I think I'll like the asus tuf more.

Link to mobo:
ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus