[SOLVED] What motherboard will work best with the NZXT H510 Elite?

Dec 1, 2021
:vendredi: So over the past couple of months, I've been building a PC over on pcpartpicker.com, and almost every motherboard I've tried to pair with the NZXT H510 Elite always says, "NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port, but the (motherboard name) Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 2 or Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port will not be usable."

Which motherboard will be the best to go with in this situation?

And also, here's the build that I was talking about: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hgqsy4

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

IMHO, for your good, ditch the idea of getting the NZXT H510 Elite case, since it's horrible in terms of thermals/performance. Sure it looks nice but the aesthetics are what chokes the fans and in turn make the innards more of an oven than an airflow arena.

As for your build, why are you looking at an 8th Gen Intel platform as opposed to something more concurrent? The motherboard for the processor is also off, if you're adamant on getting the 8th Gen i7 k suffix processor, you should be looking at a Z390 chipset otherwise that processor will not be possible for overclocking, and the ram will be limited to DDR4-2666MHz. Finally, yes that board doesn't have a USB 3.2 Gen 2 header on it since a bottom of...

Lutfij

Titan

IMHO, for your good, ditch the idea of getting the NZXT H510 Elite case, since it's horrible in terms of thermals/performance. Sure it looks nice but the aesthetics are what chokes the fans and in turn make the innards more of an oven than an airflow arena.

As for your build, why are you looking at an 8th Gen Intel platform as opposed to something more concurrent? The motherboard for the processor is also off, if you're adamant on getting the 8th Gen i7 k suffix processor, you should be looking at a Z390 chipset otherwise that processor will not be possible for overclocking, and the ram will be limited to DDR4-2666MHz. Finally, yes that board doesn't have a USB 3.2 Gen 2 header on it since a bottom of the barrel board will have no need for that connector. People on a budget like that would bother with Type-A ports only, not type-C front panel ports.

Reactions: helper800
Solution
Dec 1, 2021

As for your build, why are you looking at an 8th Gen Intel platform as opposed to something more concurrent? The motherboard for the processor is also off, if you're adamant on getting the 8th Gen i7 k suffix processor, you should be looking at a Z390 chipset otherwise that processor will not be possible for overclocking, and the ram will be limited to DDR4-2666MHz. Finally, yes that board doesn't have a USB 3.2 Gen 2 header on it since a bottom of the barrel board will have no need for that connector. People on a budget like that would bother with Type-A ports only, not type-C front panel ports.
Alright, so I've done some research and I've found out that the Fractal Design Meshify-C is one, if not the best case.

I've also gone ahead and edited the part list to include the Z390, if you want to take a loot at it: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J4bn3Z

Dec 1, 2021
Hopefully you buy 8700K and Z390 second hand? It's not worth to pay $375 for a 4 generations old CPU. 12600K is cheaper and performs about 50% better. Z690 motherboards are more expensive but overall you get a lot better performance for $25 extra. Z690 supports USB-C and USB3.2.

Cheaper and slightly better PSU https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qH...fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g6-0750-x1
Taken into consideration, I've modified the list to include the new PSU, but one slight issue.

The 12600K you recommended me to use does not work with the ASRock Z390, and I'm honestly leaning more into the 8700K rather than that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2Hgs68

Dec 1, 2021
Why do you hold on that motherboard?

Honestly it's not a good purchase. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/92VmP6/intel-core-i5-11400-26-ghz-6-core-processor-bx8070811400 performs better and is a lot cheaper. More modern also with PCI-e4.0.
I want to hold on to the motherboard because it's very good for it's price, as I can't really find anything that's good to use with the Intel Core i7.

As you have said above, I've changed the list to include the new part you have suggested: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/xirzy/saved/PzPPFT

I want to hold on to the motherboard because it's very good for it's price
The i7-8700K isn't.
as I can't really find anything that's good to use with the Intel Core i7.
Why hold on to an old and very expensive i7? i7-8700K is worth less than $200!
I've changed the list to include the new part you have suggested: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/xirzy/saved/PzPPFT
I did not suggest a crappy B360 motherboard.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I did not suggest a crappy B360 motherboard.
Only just clicked the link, he using a crappy B560 motherboard with an 11400.

You over spend on the cpu cooler, get something which is way lower in price and invest more into the motherboard and maybe other parts.

Same price, but better motherboard (maybe overdid it) and a 2tb ssd for storage, that cooler wil do fine with that cpu.,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($198.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King 120 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8100 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($167.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB AORUS ELITE Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Monitor: Acer V227Q bi 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor
Monitor: MSI Optix G241 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini RGB Wired Mini Keyboard ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder V2 Wired Optical Mouse ($42.50 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Razer BlackShark V2 Headset ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Custom: Shure MV7 USB Podcast Microphone for Podcasting, Recording, Live Streaming & Gaming, Built-In Headphone Output, All Metal USB/XLR Dynamic Mic, Voice-Isolating Technology, TeamSpeak Certified
Total: $1273.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-06 15:03 EST-0500

Wonder why LGA 1700 isn't in the partspicker.

TRENDING THREADS