[SOLVED] What motherboard would be a viable (and not too expensive) option for a 3060ti and a 9700k/10700k

Jan 1, 2021
Willing to upgrade my pc, got a 3 3300x and a Rx580 at the moment, with a Gigabyte A320M motherboard.
Also, are the 3060ti and 9700k/10700k also compatible, or are there better options out there?

Last edited:
Solution
I presume that you are looking for better gaming performance.
What is the make/model of all of your other current parts?
What is your budget for this upgrade?

Games are limited usually by the cpu or the graphics card.
For graphics, a 3060ti would be a nice and appropriate boost over a rx580. If you can find one at anywhere MSRP.
All of the 3000 series cards are being scalped and hard to find.
Modern graphics cards need only a pcie x16 slot to install.
The very high powered ones may need added psu power, but your 580 is a power hungry card so whatever psu you now have should be sufficient.

On the cpu side, much depends on the types of games that you play.
You now have a very good processor with 8 threads and a single thread passmark...
Jan 1, 2021
Would make more sense to stick in a 3700X rather than get an entirely new motherboard to switch to Intel. The 3060 Ti will be compatible with any mainstream consumer motherboard that has been manufactured over the last decade.
would a 5600x work better then a 3700x? Do u also have an idea on what motherboard id need

For graphics, a 3060ti would be a nice and appropriate boost over a rx580. If you can find one at anywhere MSRP.
The very high powered ones may need added psu power, but your 580 is a power hungry card so whatever psu you now have should be sufficient.

You now have a very good processor with 8 threads and a single thread passmark rating of 2533.
Few games can make effective use of more than 6 threads. They are mostly multiplayer with many participants.
Here is a link to your cpu upgrade options for your motherboard:
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-cpu
About the strongest reasonable upgrade might be a r7-3700X.
You will get 16 threads and a single thread passmark rating of 2690.
That does not seem like much worth it to me.

Anything stronger will require a motherboard change.
A r5 5600x would give you 16 threads and a single core rating of 3382.
A very good boost, about the best you can do today.
Unfortunately, again, the scalpers have made the 5000 series chips hard to find, particularly at anywhere near to msrp.

On the intel side, a 9700K would need a Z490 based motherboard.
9700K has 8 threads and a single thread rating of 2912.
I would not go that route.
Better to look at 10th gen i7-10700K 16 threads and single core rating of 3087.
If budget is an issue, look at the i5-10600K with 12 threads and a single thread rating of 2941.
It is a good budget gamer, here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review/5
You would want a Z490 motherboard with either one.

Unless your cpu upgrade is urgent, I would wait a month or two for intel rocket lake to be launched.
Leaked benchmarks show rocket lake new architecture to be faster than even the r9-5950x:
https://www.techpowerup.com/276459/...rforms-amd-ryzen-9-5950x-in-single-core-tests

Interesting times.
Patience will be rewarded.

Solution
Jan 1, 2021

You now have a very good processor with 8 threads and a single thread passmark rating of 2533.
Few games can make effective use of more than 6 threads. They are mostly multiplayer with many participants.
Here is a link to your cpu upgrade options for your motherboard:
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-cpu
About the strongest reasonable upgrade might be a r7-3700X.
You will get 16 threads and a single thread passmark rating of 2690.
That does not seem like much worth it to me.

Anything stronger will require a motherboard change.
A r5 5600x would give you 16 threads and a single core rating of 3382.
A very good boost, about the best you can do today.
Unfortunately, again, the scalpers have made the 5000 series chips hard to find, particularly at anywhere near to msrp.

On the intel side, a 9700K would need a Z490 based motherboard.
9700K has 8 threads and a single thread rating of 2912.
I would not go that route.
Better to look at 10th gen i7-10700K 16 threads and single core rating of 3087.
If budget is an issue, look at the i5-10600K with 12 threads and a single thread rating of 2941.
It is a good budget gamer, here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review/5
You would want a Z490 motherboard with either one.

Unless your cpu upgrade is urgent, I would wait a month or two for intel rocket lake to be launched.
Leaked benchmarks show rocket lake new architecture to be faster than even the r9-5950x:
https://www.techpowerup.com/276459/...rforms-amd-ryzen-9-5950x-in-single-core-tests

Interesting times.
Patience will be rewarded.
So pretty much, if i would get a 7 3700x with a 3060ti i wouldnt have to buy a new motherboard too?
Also, heres the exact pc it is rn, with just a bigger ssd.
https://www.dragoncomputers.eu/AMD-...-256GB-SSD-16GB-DDR4-Retro-RED?search=3 3300x

Your motherboard does support a 3700X, but for many games, the improvement may be disappointing.
The single thread performance is the same, any improvement will come from having more threads.

A graphics card upgrade may be more rewarding, particularly if you play fast action games.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you want to see how important threads are, take one away and run with 7.
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

Jan 1, 2021
Your motherboard does support a 3700X, but for many games, the improvement may be disappointing.
The single thread performance is the same, any improvement will come from having more threads.

A graphics card upgrade may be more rewarding, particularly if you play fast action games.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you want to see how important threads are, take one away and run with 7.
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.
Would streaming benefit from a 7 3700x?
I mainly play fortnite/gtav, Fortnite usually on competitive settings, but ill test around and see what happens. Thanks man.

TRENDING THREADS