[SOLVED] What motherboard would the new ryzen 5000 Igpus would need?

Solution
Well, they will tell us at release. Likely B450, B550, X470, X570 as a first guess after some BIOS updates.

High end motherboards come with more I/O typically.

Additional M.2 slots, more SATA ports, more and faster USB ports (Type-C, Gen 3.2 x2, etc). For AMD the X470 and X570 chipsets support PCIe 4.0, B550 only on the CPU connected slots, and only PCIe 3.0 on B450.

Better sound chips, faster networking, overclocking tools/software, etc.

APU builds kind of negate a lot of that. Since your graphics is built in, and you intend to use it, then most of the rest of the motherboard I/O is probably not needed. But you can still pursue better sound chips and networking.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, they will tell us at release. Likely B450, B550, X470, X570 as a first guess after some BIOS updates.

High end motherboards come with more I/O typically.

Additional M.2 slots, more SATA ports, more and faster USB ports (Type-C, Gen 3.2 x2, etc). For AMD the X470 and X570 chipsets support PCIe 4.0, B550 only on the CPU connected slots, and only PCIe 3.0 on B450.

Better sound chips, faster networking, overclocking tools/software, etc.

APU builds kind of negate a lot of that. Since your graphics is built in, and you intend to use it, then most of the rest of the motherboard I/O is probably not needed. But you can still pursue better sound chips and networking.

Solution
What is the diffrence in between a high end Motherboard and lowend motherboard.
Probably the most significant difference is the CPU VRM quality. High end motherboards typically have VRM's capable of much higher sustained power delivery capability to be able to run high core-count CPU's, e.g., 16 core 5950X, without overheating. Very important when rendering out 8K production-quality videos for multiple hours on end.

The irony is some of the high-end motherboards suitable for that application are completely unsuitable for mounting an APU if the intent is to use the iGPU because they don't have the necessary HDMI, Display Port or DVI connections. So be careful when shopping high end.

Last edited: