Question What motherboard would you recommend I buy to replace a bricked one?

Sep 5, 2021
I bricked my motherboard. Given my current PC components, what motherboard would you recommend I buy to replace it?

Here is my current system configuration.

Because of some weird bug/glitch in the Gigabyte motherboard that I encountered while enabling secure boot and UEFI, my board is effectively bricked (Don't believe me? See this. At this point, I think it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a new board than buying a flash kit and trying to salvage my old board.

I only want to replace the motherboard if possible and keep the other components. So, I guess this means I am looking for a cheap Intel compatible board that would have some future proof specs to it, namely the ability to upgrade the CPU to a newer generation, maybe an NVME slot, and support for DDR4 memory.

Yes, I would also like it to have all the features necessary for Windows 11 as well, so TPM 2.0, working UEFI XD, and etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
We'll need a little more information. Please mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Where are you located, what is your preferred site and what is your budget for a replacement motherboard? What are the specs to your ram? Got a link to said rams used?

You're on an i5-7600K, which means it needs a Z270 chipset motherboard at the very least and you can't upgrade the processor beyond the 7th Generation of Intel's processors due to the socket. If you do want to migrate to something beyond the 7th Gen, you're going to need a whole new motherboard(alongside the processor). I'm very curious, how are you cooling that K suffix processor? Chassis make and model?

Sep 5, 2021
We'll need a little more information. Please mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Where are you located, what is your preferred site and what is your budget for a replacement motherboard? What are the specs to your ram? Got a link to said rams used?

You're on an i5-7600K, which means it needs a Z270 chipset motherboard at the very least and you can't upgrade the processor beyond the 7th Generation of Intel's processors due to the socket. If you do want to migrate to something beyond the 7th Gen, you're going to need a whole new motherboard(alongside the processor). I'm very curious, how are you cooling that K suffix processor? Chassis make and model?
I am just using the stock cooler for the CPU. For the PSU, I am rocking an EVGA 430W.

For all the parts, I have links on the spreadsheet I linked in my original post to their specs.

If I do need to replace the motherboard and the CPU, then I guess I can join team red at this point! Do you have any recommendations for a moderate budget build on what motherboard I should get?

TRENDING THREADS