[SOLVED] What motherboard would you suggest to go with the FX-8350, Probably to use for some minor overclocking and needs to be fairly heat resistant.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bob12345676

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
What motherboard would you suggest to go with the FX-8350, Probably to use for some minor overclocking and needs to be fairly heat resistant?
Does anyone have a great motherboard suggestion?

Solution
What motherboard would you recommend for the 2200g or the 2400g ? I would like something that doesn't overheat very easily, is a full atx size at least 1 M.2 spot at least 1 slot to hold GPU. Also would like to have plenty of Sata ports . I would like to have dual channel ram slots or 4 ram slots.

In terms of a value board I like this ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM

Nothing fancy, does the job, overheating is not a concern with this chipset (that was a problem with FX).

If you want something a bit more overclockable bump it up to the B450-PLUS

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Will I be able to upgrade the GPU later because what I understand is that the integrated vega graphics make upgrading graphics nearly impossible, and then that would also bring my cpu power down which is something that I value a lot. I want a lot of CPU power with GPU power after that. The integrated graphics also have a lower CPU power level which is something that I want a little higher.

Don't know where you got that idea, its comepletely untrue. The only disadvantage that the 2200/2400G have over other processors is there are only 8 pcie lanes for an external GPU instead of 16. In terms of mid and even higher range GPUs this makes a minimal difference. This has been tested to be a negligible performance difference. The only thing it really prevents you from doing is Crossfire or SLI, which you're not doing on an entry level system and board anyway.

If I did go with the 2200 g or the 2400 g would it still be possible to put in a very good graphics card and make my computer have a great GPU. Or does the integrated graphics bottleneck the GPU?

Yes, both are still solid quad core processors. I would put an RX 580 or 590 with them no problem, which can crush anything at 1080p. Even a GTX 1070 or 1080 would be fine but a bit overkill as you wouldn't be able to get max performance from a 1080. Yes there is a bottleneck, but not one that is performance crushing that would cause game play issues.

So does the GPU swich off automatically or do you have to change settings to switch the integrated GPU off ?

Installing an aftermarket card will cause the system to bypass the integrated GPU automatically.

Also how overclockable is the 2200g and the 2400g ?

Both have proven to be quite overclockable. There are plenty of tests out there showing this.

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Will I be able to upgrade the GPU later because what I understand is that the integrated vega graphics make upgrading graphics nearly impossible, and then that would also bring my cpu power down which is something that I value a lot. I want a lot of CPU power with GPU power after that. The integrated graphics also have a lower CPU power level which is something that I want a little higher.

Of course, there's nothing that would prevent adding a GPU later at all.

That CPU also stomps all over the 8350 too, I think you should maybe read up on these things before speaking in absolutes.

bob12345676

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
What motherboard would you recommend for the 2200g or the 2400g ? I would like something that doesn't overheat very easily, is a full atx size at least 1 M.2 spot at least 1 slot to hold GPU. Also would like to have plenty of Sata ports . I would like to have dual channel ram slots or 4 ram slots.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

In terms of a value board I like this ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM

Nothing fancy, does the job, overheating is not a concern with this chipset (that was a problem with FX).

If you want something a bit more overclockable bump it up to the B450-PLUS

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I want to know whether this motherboard is good for overclocking and if there is a more overclockable motherboard for a decent price.
The "B" series motherboards are mainstream motherboards. They are not extreme overclocking motherboards but they do allow overclocking. If you want an extreme overclocking motherboard then you want an Z470 motherboard. Your ORIGINAL thread had a $400 cost target. Extreme overclocking motherboards and $400 cost targets don't correspond. @bob12345676 has your cost target changed ?

Reactions: Rogue Leader