What motherboards can overclock a Intel Core i5 6500?

Rectifier

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
I have recently heard about the ability of overclocking a non-k cpu. I wonder which motherboards will be able to overclock it?

And I heard about a bios update that blocking this overclocking ability.

ToxykVib3

Honorable
Feb 15, 2015
It's too risky, You will never be able to "safely" overclock a locked CPU. It's not worth doing it having in mind that you can completely brick a 200$ processor.
Nevertheless you make the processor work at its full speed and try some BCLK overclock but its not worth.
Also your mobo probably supports an advanced tweaker with presets like turbo, max, and so on wich may improve your cpu performance but can damage it.
Overall dont try to OC a locked CPU or you can brick a 200$ equipment. It's completely worthless to take that risk

ToxykVib3

Honorable
Feb 15, 2015

Yup I have done it myself and almost ended up ruining my cpu, luckely just f'd up my BIOS.
There is no point in risking a processor (locked one) in OC.
No one said that it wouldn't work, It "does" but you gain 0% gain in performance since you can only incrrease a few Mhz (100 max probably) and you end up with a instable system. Im not understanding ur point in trying to defend something that will likely cause some sort of problem. OCying a locked CPU often causes coputer crashes and so on.
Dont defend something that may harm his rig, it's worthless.
And also I said this "It's not worth doing it having in mind that you can completely brick a 200$ processor." HAVING IN MIND, wich means it's a possibility, I never claimed that it will certainly brick a CPU but we all know the risks it has.
Also back in the day many people used to OC old e2500 (locked obviously) dual core processors, they were the king of OC at their time for main consumers, OCying them was possible I've done it to my older older rig and pushed it almost to 3Ghz and the CPU almost died, it sustained "well" but my system was immediatly crashing all over the place and was really instable

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@ToxykVib3
"Yup I have done it myself and almost ended up ruining my cpu, luckely just f'd up my BIOS."
Based on what? How do you know you almost ruined your CPU?

"No one said that it wouldn't work, It "does" but you gain 0% gain in performance since you can only incrrease a few Mhz (100 max probably) [...]"
There's the potential to get a lot more than a few hundred MHz. People are getting locked skylake CPUs up to 4.5 GHz (maybe higher) with air cooling. That's a significant OC, especially for something like an i5-6400.

"[...] and you end up with a instable system. Im not understanding ur point in trying to defend something that will likely cause some sort of problem. OCying a locked CPU often causes coputer crashes and so on."
OCing any CPU, locked or unlocked, can result in instability and crashes, at least until you get the right combination of voltage and frequency. And I'm not necessarily promoting non-k OC, so much as I'm against people spreading FUD about overclocking without any evidence.

And for the record, I've played around with overclocking my i3-6100, so I'm not just going armchair-expert on this.

ToxykVib3

Honorable
Feb 15, 2015

I already gave my opinion. If he or anyone else wants to take the risk fine, it only can go two ways, work well probably for a while, or just end up crashing his system. (resetting BIOS solves so no big deal, but the cpu can take some damage we can never be sure)