Question What mouse switches should I choose?

Shadow0201

Commendable
Apr 1, 2020
I plan on soldering Mice switches different from the ones that come with the Logitech G Pro X Superlight. So far I have decided on Japanese Omrons for the left and right buttons because it seems to be a good switch in other peoples' experiences. But I have a few questions.

1. What is the difference between microvoltage/current and the general purpose switch?

2. I also would like to know what switch weight would be better for left and right click? I have only seen people use the 150 grams of force one (1.74 newtons) and that seems kind of heavy to me personally even though I have not tried it.

The only omron switches I am familiar with the feeling of is the D2FC-F-K(50M) for the left and right buttons and the D2FC-F-7N for the side buttons on my Logitech G502 Hero. I like how easy it is to press the switch and how fluidly it comes back up when released (D2FC-F-K(50M) it doesn't feel stuck).

I am hoping to use a microswitch that is easy to press but less squishy and a more crisp by feel.

Also, I do plan on switching the plunger to the one from the D2FC-F-K(50M) since the original one is too high for the mouse if I were to use that one.

3. My last question is if I should consider different switches for the side buttons? I need them to be a little easier or similar in force to press than the D2FC-F-7N.

I found it hard to rely on general overviews and descriptions of various switches including Huano, TTC, Kalih, and Omron. So maybe my description of personal preference might give an idea to someone who has tried multiple different switches of what I might like on my mouse.

Here is the document with reference to the switch specs. https://datasheet.octopart.com/D2F-L-D-Omron-datasheet-118882.pdf

Please look under "pin plunger" and ignore the other plunger types on the first page.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
1) Likely marketing :) . That said, just compare the specs. volts, currents, ranges, limits, tolerances, force requirements, etc..

2) Regarding "what switch weight would be better [?]" - - - Using a mouse is a very subjective experience.

If the mouse fit and feel is comfortable then that is the "better". Switch force can objectively be measured but the end users, for the most part, do not even think of that. The switch is either hard to click or easy to click. And that may depend so some extent on the shape of the user's hand, finger lengths, and inherent muscle strengths. Along with the overall mouse design.

3) Yes: consider different switches for the side buttons. Most people, being right handed or left handed have more strength in their dominant hand. Other people due to occupation, etc. may have a more balanced difference if any at all.

And likewise applies to within a "given" hand - between fingers for example. Other factors could include past injuries, arthritis, etc..

If the mouse is for you, then put/solder together a prototype mouse and keep track of the switch specs. Then when you test your prototype and decide that some switch is too squishy, you select another switch, based on the specs, that is less squishy. Applies even if the mouse is for someone else.

Probably worth the effort to gather up a bunch of old mice, try clicking them etc. a few times, and record your impressions of "squishy", hard to click, etc. accordingly.

Then measure the switch forces thereafter. Might be directly revealing or at least narrow down the acceptable range of switches.

Interesting project.

Just my thoughts on the matter.