What networking device do I need?

Feb 19, 2018
Hello

I originally asked this in the Networking instead of the Wireless Networking and haven't got much help so I'm asking here now.

I need some help on what exactly I need to buy.

I have a Modem/Router Combo that the WiFi doesn't reach all over my house & want a few wired connections in a room far from the router. What I would like to do is run 1 wire into the room and connect to a device that will give me a few wired ports and a wireless access point. Here is where I'm not sure exactly what I need comes into play. One of the things I want to connect in the room is a cable box. I haven't test it but I think the cable box needs to to be managed by the Modem/Router Combo.

What I think I might be looking for is a wireless router running in Access Point mode but not sure so just want to make sure before I buy the wrong thing.

The router I was looking at is a ASUS RT-ACRH13 (Dualband, Gigabit & USB).

Thanks.

Solution

The second router becomes just an access point and a couple of extra LAN ports.
All the DHCP (IP address assignment) is done by the primary router.

USAFRet

Titan

An ethernet cable to the desired location, and either a dedicated Access Point, or another router turned into an access point.

A second router will give you both WiFi and 4 LAN ports at that location.
Turn a typical router into a WiFi access point, here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

USAFRet

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from rjmayhem86 : "What networking device do I need?"

Feb 19, 2018

Yes as stated in the OP on this topic I asked again cause I wasn't getting the help I need on the Wireless information in the non Wireless area.

That would let my Modem/Router control the IP addresses through the 2nd router?

Thanks for the merge. Should of posted in the wireless area from the start being more a wireless question.

USAFRet

Titan

The second router becomes just an access point and a couple of extra LAN ports.
All the DHCP (IP address assignment) is done by the primary router.

Solution