Question What new parts do you recommend I get?

Nov 6, 2022
My current PC specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: MSI A320M A PRO VD/S
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
RAM: 32GB RAM 3200MHZ
PSU: 400W :(

I was thinking of upgrading to R7 2700X butI was thinking if my PC would throttle or something.
Budget is around 200-500 preferably

kanewolf

Titan
My current PC specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: MSI A320M A PRO VD/S
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
RAM: 32GB RAM 3200MHZ
PSU: 400W :(

I was thinking of upgrading to R7 2700X butI was thinking if my PC would throttle or something.
Budget is around 200-500 preferably
I would replace the motherboard and CPU. An Intel 12th gen I5 and B660 motherboard. Reuse your RAM and GPU. Replace your power supply.

Nov 6, 2022
@kanewolf Sognds good. I wanna buy a new board for long term so I don't really have to worry about it. What about my PSU? 400W is a bit low..
My friend has a Ryzen 7 2700x he said he would give me but he said my board may not go well with it

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
What is the upgrade for?

Think if the motherboard has no issues with the Ryzen 2600 (power/throttling) it would not have issues with the Ryzen 5600 which has the same tdp, all you would need to do is update the bios to latest beta bios and put it in. This would be my option.

What psu is in the system? maker+model+wattage. Most 400watt psu's arent great so would usually say upgrade that as well as said above.

Nov 6, 2022
If you can get the 2700x for free give it a shot it's a bump up.

You will need a cpu cooler and a better psu
Yeah he said he can give me it for free. My bios is updated to the latest. Also what about motherboard, do you think it’s needed if I get the 2700x? Of course it’s recommended but..

Nov 6, 2022
What is the upgrade for?

Think if the motherboard has no issues with the Ryzen 2600 (power/throttling) it would not have issues with the Ryzen 5600 which has the same tdp, all you would need to do is update the bios to latest beta bios and put it in. This would be my option.

What psu is in the system? maker+model+wattage. Most 400watt psu's arent great so would usually say upgrade that as well as said above.
Bios is updated to the latest. PSU is 400W and I think it’s EVGA. I’ll check tomorrow though. Upgrade is just to have a better PC, will be used for gaming and general tasks.
EDIT:
ITS NOT EVGA. PSU:

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If it is a 400W EVGA PSU, then it's almost certainly the EVGA N1, an absolutely horrifying PSU that this GPU should never, ever have been connected to. That would be a priority upgrade, like right now before worrying about anything else.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I was wrong, sorry it’s Not EVGA! This is the PSU here: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-400/

Not a good PSU, but less scary than the N1!

The replacement depends on what kind of GPU you may eventually go with. If you're not planning an aggressive GPU upgrade at any point with this PSU, going for mid-tier GPUs power-wise, then something like a Corsair CX 650 would be just fine as a reasonable budget choice. If you're doing anything with, say a n xx70 Nvidia GPU, then you kinda want to be talking higher wattages and higher quality (Corsair RMx, SeaSonic Prime, various high-end EVGAs, Super Flower Leadex III, etc).

Reactions: jakersondiscord
Nov 6, 2022
Not a good PSU, but less scary than the N1!

The replacement depends on what kind of GPU you may eventually go with. If you're not planning an aggressive GPU upgrade at any point with this PSU, going for mid-tier GPUs power-wise, then something like a Corsair CX 650 would be just fine as a reasonable budget choice. If you're doing anything with, say a n xx70 Nvidia GPU, then you kinda want to be talking higher wattages and higher quality (Corsair RMx, SeaSonic Prime, various high-end EVGAs, Super Flower Leadex III, etc).
I was gonna stick to the current GPU that I have for a while, but maybe in the future if it’s needed maybe upgrade to a 2070 or something.

Nov 6, 2022
Incase I do decide to upgrade to a bettter GPU in the future , do you recommend a new motherboard in the r future then? Because if so, I will want to upgrade that motherboard now. Preferably not Asus

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador