What Nvidia Vendor is best?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Yeah the R9600 for $100 is a pretty unbeatable deal. I have a feeling the giant killer will be OEM white-box prices of the FX5900SE/XT/etc ina month or so. That card around the $150 level WILL be the equivalent of the R9500Pro/non-pro in it's day.

I would LOVE to get my hands on an Evil Goalie T-Shirt, I'd almost make one myself, but most people around here wouldn't get it, so it's not worth $40(~$30US) to do a good job for just a T. I think the best would be an Evil Goalie Hockey Jersey. I just got a Molson Canadian one for X-mas, so I'm thinking it would be possible, just expensive. I visited ATI during the Break, but most everyone was gone for Holidays so not much to see. I'm thinking of getting in touch with a contact and seeing what they have internally if they have anything with the Evil Goalie! Check and see if they have a Corproate hockey team. :evil:

As for the Chinese, the one thing I know is to stay away from the 'White Sour Soup', aka <i>Cream of Sum Yum Guay</i>! :eek:

The GF4 should hold you over until the new technology comse out at which point the landscape will look different. PErsonally I like seeing some of the additional effects, going back to an older card would really hurt my Morrowind playing and likely not allow me to get the feeling of new demos like Savage (liking that enough to be interested in buying I think, but worried about spending too much time with another multiplayer game). And if you're more comfortable with nV then the FX5900SE looks like the perfect mid-term replacement for your needs (and will likely play Cs and COD without as many issues :wink: ). Unless you REALLY believe in the new tech then likely the 4X(X) series of cards this Q1/2 will start out as being a little overpriced. I seriously hope that the RV380 with PCI-EX is an early show (even in pre-reviews), otherwise the R423 will be a tax season purchase I think.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
FX 5900's are already hovering around the $180 mark according to pricewatch.

It's already the upper midrange king, and I do believe it's the soul-successor to the 9500 PRO in many respects. Hell, I think it's quite a few bucks cheaper than the 9500 PRO was on release...

9600 PRO still the lower-midrange king.

So in order of price our recommendations for the day are 4200, 9600 PRO, 5900, and 9800 PRO/XT?

Nice to see both major vendors taking 2 of the 4 spots on the recommended list. :)

But competition confuses and scares/scars me. How do I know what bumper sticker to buy if two companies are josteling for the crown. I wanna be part of the 'in-crowd'. :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
I'm curious, and fill me in if you can please, whether the FX5700 Ultra has some advantages over any of the FX5900 cards, (not inclucding the FX5950 of course), due to it being newer so possibly being more effiecient in doing DirectX 9 effects, as well as the FX5700 series using OpenGL1.5 compared to the FX5900 series using OpenGL1.4.
Anyone have any info on that?

Also where does ATI cards stand on the OpenGL thing? I asked this before and got no awnsers. Their cards all say they support OpenGL2.0 but there is no 2.0 yet. The latest out is 1.5 which is pretty new. So what does ATI's OpenGL2.0 mean?

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Wanna make out? i heard Squirtle isn't doing anything

hehehe

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Well I just pointed out that the 5700 series uses OpenGL1.5 where as the 5900 series uses OpenGL1.4. I'm just curious if this makes any difference at all. Even potential difference. Also does the 5700 have better DX9 support in anyway compared to the 5900?