What on earth did I do?!

cjbritt92

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Ok I've posted here before and I've worked out the issue but this time I am stumped. Ill give the whole story.

My mother was using the blowdryer this morning which blew a fuse for the top floor of the house while I was using my PC. So I go throw the switch to get the power back on. I go to boot my pc it starts up then shuts down. I had this issue before so I figure it was the 24pin plug that came loose again so I popped open the case pushed it in and the power came back for a short while. As I go to close the case it shuts off again. So then I try to mess with the cord again and nothing happened. Then as I began inspected I kinda moved the motherboard alittle and it started up. I messed with the Power SW connector for my case. But now nothing turns on. I hear my power supply so I know its not dead I think when I moved the mother board I noticed a screw came loose that I used to keep the board in place. And it was setting on the back of my video card and when I went to grab it another came out and landed on the motherboard.

So my question is could the screws have caused a short or did I? Or maybe is it even shorted at all. I tried unplugging the power supply corresponding and re plugging yet no results.

Oh one more thing. The LED on the front panel of my case is on when the power supply is plugged in and on. Nothing else comes on.

InvalidError

Titan
Loose screws are bad for your PC's health. ICs these days operate at ~1V while power supply rails are at 3.3/5/12V. Any short that might bridge a low-voltage supply to 3.3/5/12V is likely to instantaneously kill whatever is on that low-voltage supply.

If you are lucky, maybe you still have something shorting a supply and causing the PC to refuse to stay on. If you are unlucky, you may have killed one or more components.

cjbritt92

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
That's bad new for me then. Looks like this board is shot then. Parts i don't know which seems to stop working. I suppose it's time for a new one then. Make upgrades as I go. One last question.

If the computer doesn't turn on id there anyway I can remove the dic that's still in my CD-ROM drive? It's something I really need.

InvalidError

Titan
You can disconnect the PSU from everything except the CD-drive, short the green wire to a black wire on the ATX12V to make the PSU turn on and use the eject button. If you have another PC, you can simply put the CD drive in the other PC just long enough to remove the disk.

Otherwise, you can use the "emergency eject" hole.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008

Most CD/DVD drives have a small pinhole on the face plate. Take a paperclip and straighten it and push one end in the hole. It will force the tray to open.

you may not have shorted the pc. if the power supply you had is a cheap one it may have died in the power burp. i seen it happen. if you have a friend that has a volt meter or a local micro center or pc store that can test your power supply. also check if the ps is under warranty most good vendor have more then one year warranty on them.

4745454b

Titan
Or, check the short/screw/wrong standoff and once you are sure there isn't a bad one try a different PSU. If it comes on, then the PSU is dead. (as mentioned, cheap ones go all the time when fuses pop.) If known good one doesn't allow powerup, then you have probably shorted the board from the sounds of things and a new one is in order.