Jeffreyg4

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hello i just bought a new gaming computer (8800 GTX, 2gb ram, 6700 core duo ect) and i would like to knowhat operating system i should get for now. Should i get a copy of vista or just go with xp pro and wait for vistas release?

Thanks

- Jeff

Solution
I agree that XP would be the best choice now but he would have to buy Vista when Dx10 games come out. Regarding Dx10 in XP, I won't hold my breath. There are several differences to cover and if they get it, we should see if it's as fast as Vista Dx10.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Mmm... You will need Vista eventually for Dx10... But vista is 3 weeks from release. Maybe you can get a Win XP with free or cheap upgrade to Vista. Or you could get a Beta or preview OS till the Vista final version comes out.

I know that I wouldn't pay for a win XP AND a win Vista.

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
IMHO Vista is too early to adopt, you will get better support on XP for now so if you cant wait a while for Vista to be tweaked I would go with XP.

Also I wouldnt be surprised if DX10 gets released for XP too, if not you can port it over lmao see the other article in this section for some lively chit chat about that.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I agree that XP would be the best choice now but he would have to buy Vista when Dx10 games come out. Regarding Dx10 in XP, I won't hold my breath. There are several differences to cover and if they get it, we should see if it's as fast as Vista Dx10.

Solution