What order should I learn programming languages in?

DCNOS18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Hi everyone, i'm wondering what order i should learn programming/coding languages in. Could you guys give some opinions about this? Keep in mind im 15 so don't tell me to learn some incredibly hard language next. (unlambda). Oh yea, and i already know HTML HTML5 & CSS, so you dont have to include those in the list. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/harvardx-cs50x-introduction-computer-1022

https://www.edx.org/course/mitx/mitx-6-00-1x-introduction-computer-1498

Try doing those. They are the Harvard and MIT first year computer courses, but they start with a zero knowledge, you can learn a lot, go at your own pace and learn about programming.

To me, learning about programming is the first place to start, without learning any language. There are common programming techniques and things that apply to any language and these fundamentals should be learned first. When I took computer science many years ago, my first course was without a computer, all writing pseudo-code, which is just code that can be translated into any language because the logic to make it work is there.

For example, something simple like check to see if a number entered is between 1 and 9

Procedure Check Input

{

Get input from user;
If the input is >=1 AND input is <=9 then
Say Thank you for a valid number;
Else
Say please enter another number;
ask for input again;

}

Something like that isn't in any langauge but the logic there can be translated into any language, and to me, that is the crux in learning to program that is lost nowadays.

USAFRet

Titan
There is no 'order'.
Depends on what you want to build and where you want to go.

But learn 'how to program' first.
The specific language/IDE/API is platform dependent. xcode, JavaScript, VB, C#, C++, Python, SQL, etc, etc, etc.
But the thought process is much the same.

DCNOS18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Ok, thanks for your input. I will check out those links. And yea,sometimes in school when im bored i will write down lines of code like that, even though they arent in a real language. I really appreciate your response as it was very helpful :)

DCNOS18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Hi USAFRet, thanks for your input. So there's not really a general order i should learn in? Like from easiest to hardest?

Besides pure assembly being the hardest, the rest are pretty much the same and all have difference that give them pro/cons. One may be very easy to declare an object but hard to setup an array, etc. The key as we both pointed out to understand what those things are in general, without a language.