Question What part of my previously working PC is dead?

Mar 2, 2019
I have a question for you guys. I put together my own PC about 5 years ago and was working perfectly fine. But while playing a game last week I got a BSOD.

When trying to start up the PC the next day it wouldn't boot up. After trying to boot up a few times I managed to get it running again through the dvi-slot on my motherboard (in stead of the dvi-slot on the GPU).

When returning the dvi cable to the GPU --> no boot up. I see the internal fans all spinning (but not at regular speed - they look like they're spinning slower).

So then I went on to do troubleshooting and testing some things. I removed the GPU and Soundcard.

Because I recently purchased some second hand RAM-sticks (brand/type/clocks/timings - same everything) I figured this might be an issue not booting. Tested all of the ram separate and seems fine.

Then I put the GPU back in. No screen. (Even when the dvi was on the motherboard). Removed the GPU again and only after a hard reset the computer booted up. So. Dead GPU?

Next test. Only the soundcard. Also no screen. After removing I also needed to do a hard reset. Also dead sound card?

Or is it possible that the PSU is about to die (both sound card and GPU require extra power)? Or the motherboard? Or is it both the PCI cards? The RAM?

Hope you can nudge me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

System:
CPU: Intel i5-4690
Mobo: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR3L-1600 CL8 kit (so 4x4GB)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix OC 4GB
PSU: Cooler Master G450M
Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (bootup/windows) and some Seagate barracuda's for storage.

Tough call, would also suspect the PSU since it does sound like the fans spinning slower may be a sign, if you have a tester or a meter to verify it's voltages when it's running may help determine or not. Not to mention, the G450M is not the best quality unit on the market so probably good to replace anyway lol. The CX450 is still on sale, it's $20 ($40 w/ a $20 mir) for another few days.

Mar 2, 2019
Thanks all for responding.

What operating system are you using?

W10 with latest updates. Did a fresh install last December.

To the others. The PSU is also my best guess.. Was thinking about testing the PCI-cards on my nephew's PC to check if they're still alive. Also got a meter in my car. Will try that as well.

New PSU-wise - was reading up about it a bit. What do you think about the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550? Overkill?(live in the Netherlands - no CX450 on sale here)

Mar 2, 2019
So. Productive day. I tested my GPU on another rig --> works fine. So that isn't dead. Then I went out and bought a new PSU. Put some time into it installing it.

(n)

Same. Problem. Without GPU I now only get it booted once. Then I have to remove and insert the RAM-modules again to make it start again. That's weird.

Any ideas?

Mar 2, 2019
It works again! I cleared the CMOS and did a reset of the BIOS to optimized settings. Also updated the BIOS and voila! It works again..

Thank you all for thinking along!