[SOLVED] What part should I upgrade first?

Oct 3, 2020
Hello,

I have just recently bought a dirt-cheap Dell optiplex 3020 MT to be used as a budget gaming pc. It has these specs:

i5-4590
4gb ram
300gb hdd
290w stock psu
No gpu

My question is what should the progression or parts I should upgrade first (ex. get a gpu, then an ssd, etc)?

Im thinking about getting a used 750ti first, as I've heard that it's still okay to use even with a stock dell psu, then an ssd and some ram. I'm not sure if I should be upgrading my psu before all of that though.

Thanks!

Solution
either a 750ti or a gt 1030.

ssd is a really help, but does very little to gaming performance.
so maybe do that after the gpu and ram

as for the psu swap
  1. If you need to swap the psu, that's just replacing so many parts this pc becomes less budget and more.. a waste of time. because if you replace that much stuff it becomes so expensive youre only like 70$ off an actual new pc.
  2. I'm not sure a psu swap would actually be possible. since dell sometimes uses proprietary connectors. please check beforehand.
either a 750ti or a gt 1030.

ssd is a really help, but does very little to gaming performance.
so maybe do that after the gpu and ram

as for the psu swap
  1. If you need to swap the psu, that's just replacing so many parts this pc becomes less budget and more.. a waste of time. because if you replace that much stuff it becomes so expensive youre only like 70$ off an actual new pc.
  2. I'm not sure a psu swap would actually be possible. since dell sometimes uses proprietary connectors. please check beforehand.

Reactions: Sdnre
Solution