[SOLVED] What parts can I keep?

Nov 21, 2019
Hey all, I'm new to the forum.

I built the below about 4-5 years ago as a family work station / media storage solution. I have since moved on to cloud storage and laptop. My son has recently 12 and is into console gaming so I'm thinking of building a gaming PC for him and curious to know what the community thinks about recycling some of the parts from my previous build.

Intel Core i5 4670 3.4Ghz 6MB
Asrock H97M Pro4 4xDD3 mATX Motherboard
Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB (2x4GB) Red
Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB SSD
Seagate 3TB 7200RPM SATA3 Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GT610 1GB Silent Graphic Card

My son is into games like Fortnite, COD & 2K20 so that should give you a feel for what he's into. I trust this will develop once he's introduced to PC Gaming.

Cheers from Oz

Solution
You forgot to include the make and model of the PSU. Apart from that, the entire system can use a GPU upgrade for now but any other upgrades would put you into the territory of an entry level concurrent gaming system with AMD's Ryzen platform.

On that note, you can reuse the SSD and HDD and add that to your new parts list but you're going to have to reinstall the OS while on a new platform.

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to include the make and model of the PSU. Apart from that, the entire system can use a GPU upgrade for now but any other upgrades would put you into the territory of an entry level concurrent gaming system with AMD's Ryzen platform.

On that note, you can reuse the SSD and HDD and add that to your new parts list but you're going to have to reinstall the OS while on a new platform.

Solution
Nov 21, 2019

Yes good point....

Corsair CMPSU-430CXM 430W Bronze 80+ Power Supply

So you think upgrade the GPU only for now?