[SOLVED] What parts needs an upgrade? System is choking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BlueBeast

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Hey!

After a long break from the hardware and tech world I’ve returned and feel completely restarted in knowledge

When I play CS:GO in 4:3 1280x960 I get lag spikes and freezes with max fps at 200, game takes about a minute to open up from minimised - as well as being stuck in loading screen for 3-4 minutes. Happens in most games

Current specs:
4x4 3200mhz DDR4
6 years old 780gtx ti x2 SLI
I5-6600K 3.5ghz with H110i attached
512gb Main SSD for applications
256gb game SSD
4TB storage HDD

Was thinking of RTX 2080 TI but I’m worried about bottlenecking it, my goal is clean gameplay with 144hz and possibility for 4K gaming

Solution
SO, PCPP shows almost nothing available using the Denmark option for region. Since you listed British pounds, I'll list it out there since availability looks much better on hardware sources.

2070 Super is more than enough for Ultra 1440p gaming. If you want to still jump up to the 2080, my advice would be to stick to the EVGA XC Ultra gaming. IMO that is the best option in every series stack for a variety of reasons. For one, the FTW models don't offer enough extra performance to be worth the price difference. Two, you won't find better after the sale customer service than with EVGA. From ANYBODY. Three, their cards LOOK better from the top, which is how you'll be seeing them for the life of that system unless you decide to do a...
SO, PCPP shows almost nothing available using the Denmark option for region. Since you listed British pounds, I'll list it out there since availability looks much better on hardware sources.

2070 Super is more than enough for Ultra 1440p gaming. If you want to still jump up to the 2080, my advice would be to stick to the EVGA XC Ultra gaming. IMO that is the best option in every series stack for a variety of reasons. For one, the FTW models don't offer enough extra performance to be worth the price difference. Two, you won't find better after the sale customer service than with EVGA. From ANYBODY. Three, their cards LOOK better from the top, which is how you'll be seeing them for the life of that system unless you decide to do a vertical mount, and EVGA has been doing this longer than almost anybody else out there, so their cards are well designed and well built. They are not taking chances or risks, and are simply putting out solid cards that last and get the job done.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£330.88 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£112.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£575.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£115.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1134.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-17 18:25 BST+0100

Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can look at Komplett.DK,
PC-komponenter - Komplett.dk

Similar as in the above build,
Komplett.DK
PC-komponenter - Komplett.dk
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX, Socket-AM4 - AMD Socket - Komplett.dk
ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER ROG Strix AD - Grafikkort - Komplett.dk (different Asus model,but comes with a discount right now and see no EVGA on this site)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor - Processorer - Komplett.dk
Corsair RM850 850W PSU - Strømforsyninger - Komplett.dk (as expensive as the 650/750watt right now,see no wrong in the extra power and might even be more silent)
Corsair TX650M, 650W PSU - Strømforsyninger - Komplett.dk (cheaper,still good)
Corsair Vengeance 650M, 650W PSU - Strømforsyninger - Komplett.dk (even cheaper,still decent)

You can still test first with just a new gpu,see if that helps of course.

Last edited: