[SOLVED] What parts should I upgrade to?

May 7, 2022
I'm looking for parts to upgrade to but I'm not sure what part to upgrade or to keep. Here are my specs for my current setup. I mostly game on the PC, most of the time on Dayz and getting around 20-40 FPS on low settings. I Did not do any overclock on the CPU as I have no idea how to. So please advice.

AMD RYZEN 3 3200G 4C/4T
GIGABYTE B550M
16GB DDR4
240GB SSD
2TB HDD RADEON
VEGA GRAPHICS
500W PSU

Last edited:
Solution
The APU is comparable to a GT1030, which while some claim is the lowest end gaming gpu, realistically isn't, it's realistically on the higher end of office equipment.

Fps is the responsibility of the cpu. While an APU is adequate, even great, for general computing, that's all 2D work. When it comes to 3D graphics, an APU falls short, it has no vram of its own, and because of the size of the graphics engine, there's little if any L3 cache for the cpu to use.

Don't get me wrong, Vega graphics are very impressive for an igpu, but if you look at the size of half that cpu vrs the size of any gpu and its associated power components etc, it like trying to hit something with a pinkie finger vrs a fist. And that APU isn't an ancient Chinese...
I'm looking for parts to upgrade to but I'm not sure what part to upgrade or to keep. Here are my specs for my current setup. I mostly game on the PC, most of the time on Dayz and getting around 20-40 FPS on low settings. I Did not do any overclock on the CPU as I have no idea how to. So please advice.

AMD RYZEN 3 3200G 4C/4T
GIGABYTE B550M
16GB DDR4
240GB SSD
2TB HDD RADEON
VEGA GRAPHICS
500W PSU
I suppose that under "VEGA GRAPHICS" you mean IGPU (integrated in the processor?
In that case you have a choice of half decent dedicated graphic card or R5 5600G or 5700G.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The APU is comparable to a GT1030, which while some claim is the lowest end gaming gpu, realistically isn't, it's realistically on the higher end of office equipment.

Fps is the responsibility of the cpu. While an APU is adequate, even great, for general computing, that's all 2D work. When it comes to 3D graphics, an APU falls short, it has no vram of its own, and because of the size of the graphics engine, there's little if any L3 cache for the cpu to use.

Don't get me wrong, Vega graphics are very impressive for an igpu, but if you look at the size of half that cpu vrs the size of any gpu and its associated power components etc, it like trying to hit something with a pinkie finger vrs a fist. And that APU isn't an ancient Chinese kung-fu grandmaster who has learned the secret of the 1 finger death touch.

For acceptable, pleasant gaming experience, should start with gpus in the gtx1660/Rx 570 range and up. With a capable and reliable psu and a cpu strong enough to push the fps such as a 3600 or better.

Solution

AMD RYZEN 3 3200G 4C/4T
GIGABYTE B550M
16GB DDR4
240GB SSD
2TB HDD RADEON
VEGA GRAPHICS
500W PSU
Are you sure of the mobo I don't see the 3200g on the support list.

Run this and post a LINK to the results page.
UBM

May 7, 2022
Are you sure of the mobo I don't see the 3200g on the support list.

Run this and post a LINK to the results page.
UBM
UserBenchmarks: Game 12%, Desk 59%, Work 10%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G - 47.5%
GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics - 13%
SSD: Transcend TS240GMTS820S 240GB - 60.5%
HDD: Toshiba P300 2TB - 104.4%
RAM: Transcend JM3200HLG-8G 2x8GB - 56.1%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B550M DS3H AC

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Officially, the B550 series does not support Zen+ cpus, but because the X570 chipset does support Zen+ and consumer outrage over Amd's stance that AM4 will support Ryzen cpus, most AIB partners have included support for the G series APU's although lack of updates to websites compatibility listing is common.

So yes, you can generally run a 3200G on a newer B550, or bios update an older B550 to accept the cpu.

DSzymborski

Titan
Vios ATX 500W

Yes, you will definitely need a new PSU to use any GPU; this one is brutally bad and only really a 240W PSU at best in post-Pentium III terms.

vios_atx500w_1439380959_5ace4b4d.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's not a psu. It's a psu shaped object disguised to imitate a psu and fails badly. There's not enough internal circuitry to even give it weight enough to act as a paper weight, doorstop or boat anchor. Psu shaped objects of that caliber only do One thing very well, start fires when you forget to turn them off.

You'd find it far easier to take away my 17yr old daughters cellphone than convince me to put that psu shaped object in a pc. Sorry for the Brutality, but I can't in all honesty sanction continued use of that thing. It's a ticking time bomb.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike