[SOLVED] What parts to reuse on new gaming build

nluevano

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I was looking to upgrade my pc since it's about 8 years old besides the graphics card(bought a 1070 2 yrs ago). Everything still runs good although I do get a driver power state failure but I tried all fixes to ensure the pc isn't going to sleep and giving full power so not sure what it is. Started after I installed the new graphics card or new ram I but that's a topic for another thread. My specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL (missed the sale on the sniper by like 5 mins...a little upsetting)

HSF: CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler

HDD: Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB Black External Hard Drive WDBACW0010HBK-NESN

SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Samsung Evo 850 SSD 500GB
Samsung 1 TB HDD

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power

GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support (Eventually 2)(UPGRADED to GTX 1070 which I'll keep for new build)

DVD: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM (didn't need anything special)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior

The ram is upgraded but can't be used so that I'll have to get new anyway. I'm definitely going to go with a new motherboard and cpu as thats the main upgrade. I would keep the case but my little cousin broke all 4 of my usb in the front so may or may not get depending on if things fit. I also could see about selling it if anyone has an idea what would be a fair price to let it go for. Mind you it does have that driver power state failure that happens like once or twice a wk randomly and I'd have to throw that old gtx 570 back in there. That's probably for another thread too haha. Here is what I'm looking to upgrade to and then add in my storage, graphics card and the cd/dvd of course.

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

MOBO: Asus - ROG Maximus XI Hero (wi0fi) ATX LGA 1151

Ram: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200

Cooler: Corsair - H100i Pro 75 cfm liquid cpu

Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB m.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Case: Cooler Master - Stryker SE ATX Full Tower Case

I wasn't sure if I could reuse that psu or not or if that could be part of the problem with the driver state power failure(although I don't believe so). I'm good money wise so didn't include pricing although I'm always down to save some money! Don't think I need that MOBO especially don't need the wifi but just did a quick look yesterday and put this together so willing to change that. Another thing I wasn't sure of was can you reuse coolers that old? Probably just better to get a new one with the new processor to protect your investment though correct? I'll probably buy these parts over the next month or two so any input until then would be most appreciated!

Solution
What is the primary purpose for this pc?
Considering you have a strong graphics card, I would assume gaming.
For that, a i7-9700K is going to perform equally well as a i9-9900K and be cheaper.
My reading suggests a top end Z390 motherboard for a 9900K because of the high power requirements.
Less expensive Z390 motherboards will be fine for 9700K or 9600K.

The PSU you need is primarily gated by the graphics card you use. I see no reason why your current TX850 should not be reused. If you suspect it is faulty, then change it out.
I might suggest a Seasonic 650w focus.

Do you really need 32gb? Games will do fine on 16gb.

As to cooler, I would suggest a noctua NH-D15s.
In a nice case like yours, it will cool just as well as a H100i...
If you have the old orange label TXM power supply from 8 years ago also, then you should upgrade it. I would suggest at least the new TX750M or TX850M or something even better such as a fully-modular Corsair RMx or SeaSonic FOCUS Plus or PRIME or even the EVGA G2 power supply.

Reactions: nluevano

nluevano

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I figured it would probably need to go so I'll add it here.

Cooler: Corsair - H100i Pro 75 cfm liquid cpu

PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 w Gold

What is the primary purpose for this pc?
Considering you have a strong graphics card, I would assume gaming.
For that, a i7-9700K is going to perform equally well as a i9-9900K and be cheaper.
My reading suggests a top end Z390 motherboard for a 9900K because of the high power requirements.
Less expensive Z390 motherboards will be fine for 9700K or 9600K.

The PSU you need is primarily gated by the graphics card you use. I see no reason why your current TX850 should not be reused. If you suspect it is faulty, then change it out.

Do you really need 32gb? Games will do fine on 16gb.

As to cooler, I would suggest a noctua NH-D15s.
In a nice case like yours, it will cool just as well as a H100i.
In the process it will be quieter, be more reliable, less expensive, and will not leak.
Leaks are uncommon and Corsair will reimburse you if you get one.
But, for some sad stories google "H100i leak"

Solution

nluevano

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Yes it is primarily for gaming.
I did want to see the advantages/disadvantages of going with the i7 9700k over the i9 9900k.
I don't mind spending a bit extra if it helps to extend the life of the build. I just remember when I did my first pc that they were still pushing i3 and i5 and i got one of the first i-7s. Not sure I ever even really used it to it's full potential so I might rather save the money.
Is that motherboard considered a top end motherboard. I would think so but again I will be doing further research in the coming weeks.

I may try and use the same PSU to save the money but worried about that driver power state failure. At least if I use it to begin with I can rule that out as being the problem.

I honestly do not really need 32gb. I've built about 10 pcs but only one for myself. I tend to try and get everything higher end so I don't have to do many upgrades if at all. So far on my current build just really needed to upgrade the graphics card.
I also do have some games (escape from tarkov) that run better with more ram so I'm guessing more online games will keep trending in that direction but who knows.

Those noctuas look really cool. I see there are different sizes because in one video review that thing looked like a monster haha.
I think I may switch over to that as I've always been worried using the water cooler even though leaks aren't common. I also like the full towers so I guess I have plenty of space.

I'll have to look over where I want to save money and definitely looking into more motherboards to confirm which are preferred at the moment. I do think the noctua is gonna get bought though as it has plenty of great reviews and is a good price.

Thanks again for the response I appreciate it!

A power supply that is out of warranty is a risk to an entire system. For an old system that is not worth much it would be fine. For a new system costing well over $1,000 today, no way.

nluevano

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Well I'll spend the extra hundred or so then to be safe. I didn't realize that an older psu has the potential to fry the whole system.

Cooler: Noctua NH D-15

PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 w Gold

Only thing I'll look into more is the motherboard and CPU but otherwise this will probably be the set up I go with. Thank you both for all your help!