[SOLVED] What parts would be good on my 700 dollar gaming rig?

OmegaOrigins

Prominent
May 15, 2019
First, ill be playing on 1080p, playing esport games, and games like fallout 4, and this is the build i've come up with so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/OmegaOrigins/saved/#view=nRTn7P (sorry if it's not the permalink, unsure if i did that right)
Next, should I stick with the 1660 or swap to a less overkill card if it is?
Lastly, is the 212 EVO good enough for overclocking the r5 2600 to 4-4.2~ ghz, or should I head to a budget AIO solution for that?
While we're at it, altough it's a mouse, i'd like to know a good replacement for my Logitech g302, as I want to replace it for my setup renewal.

Last edited:
Solution
First, if it comes to it, I’d like to keep the case and add even a bit more to the budget for a better psu, and when it comes to the mouse, the pads on the bottom are starting to go out, so I want to get a new mouse. The b350 I picked was sorta to cut costs, and if I needed a bios update I have some flash drives and computers for that, but I’ll take the b450 into consideration. When it comes to the psu, does the Thermaltake smart rgb 500w hold up? If not, how about the Corsair cx550 2017?
Thanks, Omega

Definitely CX550 over the Thermaltake.
I'd say maybe ditch the hyper 212 evo for now and use that money on a nice b450 board, the r5s stock cooler can handle stock temps just fine and you can get a much better cooler later on.
My...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I would steal from the case to pay for a power supply. the PSU you have chosen is one of the WORST that EVGA sells, they do not make it.for that price range there are far better more reliable units available. examples:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dD...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

the 212 is an older unit and there are better more compact units available now, but for the budget its a decent cooler, I love mine.
I do not overclock so I cannot report on that.
as for mice I have been using this guy here for two decades.
iu

no finer input device in my opinion
that motherboard may need a BIOS update before supporting that CPU, a 4xx series motherboard would eliminate that variable
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RD97YJ/asrock-b450m-hdv-r40-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-hdv-r40
example only

Last edited:

OmegaOrigins

Prominent
May 15, 2019
First, if it comes to it, I’d like to keep the case and add even a bit more to the budget for a better psu, and when it comes to the mouse, the pads on the bottom are starting to go out, so I want to get a new mouse. The b350 I picked was sorta to cut costs, and if I needed a bios update I have some flash drives and computers for that, but I’ll take the b450 into consideration. When it comes to the psu, does the Thermaltake smart rgb 500w hold up? If not, how about the Corsair cx550 2017?
Thanks, Omega

Thanks, Omega

Definitely CX550 over the Thermaltake.
I'd say maybe ditch the hyper 212 evo for now and use that money on a nice b450 board, the r5s stock cooler can handle stock temps just fine and you can get a much better cooler later on.
My mouse pick would be anything Logitech, maybe g403.

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the BIOS update will require a 1xxx series ryzen to complete. if you do not have one for flashing the 450 board is a must.

the cx550 is the best of the list, the thermaltake would be the last to consider.
corsair cx as the entrypoint, TX is the luxury item, the W1 is the clearance bin, avoid the clearance bin.

OmegaOrigins

Prominent
May 15, 2019
Alright, I’ll go for the cx550, but since it’s so cheap, I think I can keep the 212 EVO since I want to overclock off the bat and I’ll just throw a bit more into a b450, and I think I’ll get a Logitech mouse, as my g302 has run for half a decade now, but I also hear the steelseries rival is good, AND it’s on sale, so I might go for that.

OmegaOrigins

Prominent
May 15, 2019
I already have a ssd that i'm going to reuse, and i hear that faster ram IS important for ryzen, but i dont think it's too detremental having 2400 mhz ram, and if you have checked the other comments, I do believe that the corsair 550 (or 450 in this case) is adequate enough for my needs.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well it depend on what cx series you're going with, the old one is crap and i would recommend going for at least 3000MHZ ram or else you'll see a lot of slow performance with ryzen as it heavily depending on fast RAM's.

OmegaOrigins

Prominent
May 15, 2019
By old, what year is old? I'm getting the 2017 model. And I get it, you guys want fast ram, so i'll deal with it. Don't ask about the fans, they're pretty, and I want my build to be pretty, so i'm getting them.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well the old 2015 green labeled CX series was crap, i had two of them and it killed my graphic card once.
The new 2018 version is much better yeah, but if you have the budget go for a high end one, seasonic or even an rmx series one is better than the CX.

OmegaOrigins

Prominent
May 15, 2019
Alright, as long as my computer won't implode on itself, just a bit over, so not so comfortable with toeing the line so much, as i have a wifi adapter that i didnt add to pcpartpicker, making this over budget.

Since you mentioned Steelseries i'll share my experience with them:
I bought a Rival 500 few years ago. I had it for 2 days before the scroll wheel broke, i went to the shop i bought it from to get warranty replacement and it was all scratched up right from the factory sealed box.
The store allowed me to swap that for a new one which i found out to also be all scratched up.
I asked for a giftcard refund, put some more money in it and bought a Logitech G900, which i've owned for 2 years now and can highly recommend.
Best mouse i've ever owned and definitely worth the price.