What PCI-e Power Cables Do I Need?

Strattton

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
So here is my build I've been slowly upgrading https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Strattton/builds/ So previously I had an R9 270x which has two 6 pin connectors. I have an EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W which comes with two 6 pin cables. So I opted to think that plugging in two separate 6 pin cables would do the trick. Turns out, nope. So I found out that I had to use a single 8 pin to two 6 pins cable. Why is that? I've seen threads where people state that you can use two cables but I can tell you it didn't work for me, and I'm pretty tech savvy.

Second and more importantly. I want to get custom sleeved cables from cablemod for a 1070 and it requires an 8 pin and 6 pin, what cables or cable should I get using their configurator?

Solution

1. are you plugging them into the proper VGA slots on the psu? there should be no issue here...

2. both need to be populated it has both a 8-pin and a 6-pin slot, so yes is the answer

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

a 8-pin delivers twice the wattage of a 6-pin

I very much doubt that psu does not come with a 6+2 pcie cable

PCIE-862FF-XX-PCI-Express-8p-Female-to-6p-Female-2p-Female-Power-Adapter-Cable-004.jpg

yup i see it has THREE 6+2 pcie cables, and a single 6-pin ( 8-pin? ) cable

220-G2-0850-XR_XL_3.jpg

Strattton

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

I'm aware of what cables are included with my power supply.
1 x 24-Pin ATX
2 x 4+4-Pin EPS12V
4 x 6+2-Pin PCI-E
2 x 6-Pin PCI-E
10 x SATA
4 x 4-Pin Peripheral
1 x Floppy

My first question is why can't I use two separate cables (2 x 6-Pin PCI-E) Instead of the single (8 Pin to 6+2/6 Pin) it's daisy chained)?
btMKh0W.jpg

J0TYwBu.jpg

My second question is can I use a single 8 Pin cable and a single 6 pin connector for my MSI GTX 1070?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

1. are you plugging them into the proper VGA slots on the psu? there should be no issue here...

2. both need to be populated it has both a 8-pin and a 6-pin slot, so yes is the answer

Solution

Strattton

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
Yup, got my 1070 and tried two cables and got this message.
IMG_2817_zpslqu2bqr8.jpg

Oh look, I used one cable with a 6 pin slave/daisy chain and it works...
IMG_2818_zpsvh610ilw.jpg

I treid every VGA cable combination on the PSU and always got this message.