[SOLVED] What performance improvements could I expect if I replace my laptop hdd with an ssd?

Arinze U

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
I bought a low end $400 laptop for college last year. It has been doing okay for me. However, it tends to get really noisy and sluggish when I have multiple apps running at the same time. I did some research and apparently getting an SSD is one of the best ways to speed up your computer. The name of my laptop is the Lenovo Ideapad 330-15 AST. I currently have a 1TB HDD installed inside. Would it be possible to switch it out with an SSD, and if so, is it easy to do? I've never taken out parts of a computer so this is all kind of new to me. Thanks in advance.

Solution
That puts you nit he 480-525Gb range so in order from Cheapest to most expsinve
Crucial Bx500
Sandisk Ultra 3d
WD Blue 3d
Crucial MX500

The Mx500 pretty much is the best until you get tot he 860Evo which itslef doesn't offer that much of an improvement in performance. Currently about $70
The Sandisk and the WD are the same drive and both only a few $ cheaper then the MX. Currently about $65
The Bx500 is a dramless design, faster then an HDD but it's about the cheapest of the drives I would mention (not recommend) but it might be good enough for what you're looking for. Read the review in you're interested:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crucial-bx500-ssd,5377.html

Arinze U

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
Its a good investment but I would check how much ram you have first.
If you have alot of apps open with not enough ram to run them all, Windows will start using your drive as Ram, albeit very very slow ram...

So how much ram do you have in that?
I see, thank you for responding. I have 8gb of ram on my laptop

popatim

Titan
That puts you nit he 480-525Gb range so in order from Cheapest to most expsinve
Crucial Bx500
Sandisk Ultra 3d
WD Blue 3d
Crucial MX500

The Mx500 pretty much is the best until you get tot he 860Evo which itslef doesn't offer that much of an improvement in performance. Currently about $70
The Sandisk and the WD are the same drive and both only a few $ cheaper then the MX. Currently about $65
The Bx500 is a dramless design, faster then an HDD but it's about the cheapest of the drives I would mention (not recommend) but it might be good enough for what you're looking for. Read the review in you're interested:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crucial-bx500-ssd,5377.html

Reactions: Arinze U
Solution