[SOLVED] What plan should I get? What do these things mean?

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
So I currently have century link wifi in my house and its pretty stinky. Constantly goes out for half a day or needs to be reset. Changing to a different provider and thinking xfinity. I see 300mbps for $50 a month but then 600mbps for $60. What do these things mean? I just want fast internet that is reliable and can handle 3-4 devices gaming/moviestreaming and more phones and stuff connected as well. Willing to spend a bit extra for better performance.

Solution
look close at those plans. i bet it says "up to 300 mb/s" cable rarely gets the advertised speeds. during peaks times, you'll be lucky to get enough to watch netflix. look close and see what the fine print says.

also talk to your neighbors and see what they use and how they feel about it. like cell service, what is good in one area may suck in another.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
the AVERAGE person only needs 8 mbps... 300 mbps would be more than enough... but if you don't know how bandwidth works then you will always face the illusion of 300 mbps is always better than 8 mbps.. I highly recommend looking into the QoS function of your router and a bandwidth limiter for the PC's to make things work properly at the fraction of the cost

USAFRet

Titan
the AVERAGE person only needs 8 mbps... 300 mbps would be more than enough... but if you don't know how bandwidth works then you will always face the illusion of 300 mbps is always better than 8 mbps.. I highly recommend looking into the QoS function of your router and a bandwidth limiter for the PC's to make things work properly at the fraction of the cost
QoS is rarely the solution.

8mbps? Not if you have multiple devices.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
look close at those plans. i bet it says "up to 300 mb/s" cable rarely gets the advertised speeds. during peaks times, you'll be lucky to get enough to watch netflix. look close and see what the fine print says.

also talk to your neighbors and see what they use and how they feel about it. like cell service, what is good in one area may suck in another.

Reactions: jacob249358
Solution