Question What port is this in my wall?

Sep 27, 2023
Hi there - as stated in the title I'm unsure what this port is for in my wall but it looks like its network related. I can't fit a cat5 cable into it as the cable is too large and shaped differently.

Is this port for a modem? If I move my modem to this room will this port act as the main access point?

Apologies for the poor picture quality, its quite hard to hold the flap open and get a photo of this port.

Kind Regards,
Ashley

GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Sep 27, 2023
It could be an old RJ-11 port for a home telephone line.
I just searched this up and it looks a lot like an RJ-45 port. Is this something I could use to get wired connection to my pc? Is it even worth using? I am in my loft room, very far from my modem. If I could wire this port to my PC it would save me having to run a cable up the side of my house.

Looks like what is called 431a I think, photo it not real clear. If you are in the UK then that is even more likely what it is.

You will have to get lucky to use phone wire for data cable. Maybe they used ethernet cable. Somewhat modern houses they used ethernet cable just because it was about the same price. The newest houses tend to not have wired phone jacks at all.

So first dissamble the jack and look at the wire. If it is the older 4 solid color wires you likely have no chance. If it appears to be some kind of twisted pair cable then maybe.

The next problem is phone cable tends to be daisy changed room to room. Ethernet cable is point to point. You would have to find both ends of the cable and see if there are a bunch of splices in the path. You would need to try to make the cable into a point to point without extra jacks in the path.

So if you get past all those hurtles you can just replace the ends with rj45 keystones. It still might not work if the wire is not actual rated ethernet cable or it might work at lower speed. If you only have 2 pair of wires rather than 4 you can not get above 100mbps and if the cable is poor it might not work at all or run at 10mbps.