Question What potential problems could be happening on my WISP's end?

Feb 27, 2019
I get my internet through a WISP and have a lot of issues with them. They are a very small and shitty company so its expected. Anyway I have had constant ping spikes while playing online games. These problems where occurring 24/7 for about 3 months straight. I came here for help and we did everything to fix it and determined the problem was on their end. One day the lag just went away and I have been gaming online for 4 months without any problems even though I didn't change anything.

Last week the problem came back. Even though everything is the same here the ping spikes have been consistent 24/7 for the past week.

What are some of the things that could been happening on their end that is causing this? What can be done? How long will this last?

I would go through the details on my set up but that has already been ruled out as a potential cause in the past. And like i said... internet work, then it didn't, then it did, now it doesn't again and nothing changed here. Only one of my devices is connected at a time.

It is not likely inside your house. You can test by using ethernet which is almost impossible to have any latency. You would then ping some common ip address like 8.8.8.8. If you really wanted to find it you could run tracert to 8.8.8.8 and ping each hop in the trace. It really depends if the spike is happening between your house and the tower or father into their network. They many times connect tower to tower with wifi radio also.

It greatly depends which wisp system they use. If they are really cheap and just use normal wifi then it is subject to the half duplex issue with multiple people transmitting at the same time. There are a couple popular system one is called canopy and in that case the central tower controls the end radios. There can still be issue of capacity in their network but generally it is more of a higher overall latency than a spike. It should be better say late in the night. Many of these systems are starting to use LTE like the cell companies do on the unlicensed radio bands. It tends to be faster and more stable but like any for of wireless you take the chance of ping spikes.

Feb 27, 2019
It is not likely inside your house. You can test by using ethernet which is almost impossible to have any latency. You would then ping some common ip address like 8.8.8.8. If you really wanted to find it you could run tracert to 8.8.8.8 and ping each hop in the trace. It really depends if the spike is happening between your house and the tower or father into their network. They many times connect tower to tower with wifi radio also.

It greatly depends which wisp system they use. If they are really cheap and just use normal wifi then it is subject to the half duplex issue with multiple people transmitting at the same time. There are a couple popular system one is called canopy and in that case the central tower controls the end radios. There can still be issue of capacity in their network but generally it is more of a higher overall latency than a spike. It should be better say late in the night. Many of these systems are starting to use LTE like the cell companies do on the unlicensed radio bands. It tends to be faster and more stable but like any for of wireless you take the chance of ping spikes.
I have run the Tracert stuff before however a bunch of IP addresses come up and I'm not really sure which is which. Although the first one I'm guessing my router, usually has no latency and the second one usually does have spikes in it, very similar to the last hop which is 8.8.8.8.

Also I'm not sure if this matters but when I run there tracert to 8.8.8.8 it comes up with 13 different IP addresses, maybe that doesn't matter but it seems like a lot to me.