Question What Power Supply do I Need?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I'm planning on upgrading my old Hp Pavilion Elite HPE 150f. I want to put an RX 580 8gb graphics card in the system. I'm aware that this will require more power than I have currently. Which power supply should I upgrade to? I need one that can support this graphics card, as well as all of my existing components. I also think I saw something about the RX 580 needing an 8 pin connector.

Other:

I'm also planning on upgrading my RAM from 8gb to 12.

I upgraded the system from a 1tb hard drive to a 465gb SSD.

You can find all my other specs here: https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-150f-core-i7-860-2-8-ghz-monitor-none-series/

I’m pretty new with computers, and I haven’t opened this one up yet. I’m technically getting it as a gift, so I’m just doing research right now. So I have no idea. Sorry

Then wait until you get it.

You can't research when you don't even have a starting point. Unless you find a link to someone that does a complete tear down or shows that exact model PC getting a PSU upgrade.

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Your computer is "ancient" by now it is from 2009. As such it only comes with standard legacy BIOS so no UEFI boot as such an AMD RX580 card can not be used in that machine, it will not boot. Also HP has locked down that BIOS so no over clocking and they have limited the CPU core speed to 2.93 GHz so even if it would work in some games you would experience stuttering performance. That machine is not good for gaming in 2019 almost 2020 IMHO! Investing in a 580 would be wasting money to an extent! As for the power supply, well at least that mother board has a standard 24 pin connector so can be used with other power supplies! The original one is 350 Watt. Also upgrading memory to 3 sticks a 4GB means you will be running that memory at half speed. You should only use 2 sticks or 4 sticks of RAM for full speed DDR memory. Maximum supported memory on that machine is 16GB running 4 sticks of 4GB RAM!

Your computer is "ancient" by now it is from 2009. As such it only comes with standard legacy BIOS so no UEFI boot as such an AMD RX580 card can not be used in that machine, it will not boot. Also HP has locked down that BIOS so no over clocking and they have limited the CPU core speed to 2.93 GHz so even if it would work in some games you would experience stuttering performance. That machine is not good for gaming in 2019 almost 2020 IMHO! Investing in a 580 would be wasting money to an extent! As for the power supply, well at least that mother board has a standard 24 pin connector so can be used with other power supplies! The original one is 350 Watt. Also upgrading memory to 3 sticks a 4GB means you will be running that memory at half speed. You should only use 2 sticks or 4 sticks of RAM for full speed DDR memory. Maximum supported memory on that machine is 16GB running 4 sticks of 4GB RAM!
Its an I7. Even though it is very old, it will game just fine if on a budget.

Also the 580 should work.

Reactions: jonnyguru

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Okay, I used a flashlight to look into this computer. It has 4x2 gab ram sticks. Would I be able to replace 2 of those sticks with 4gb sticks to make it 12gb if ram? Also, what is the best possible graphics card I can put in this system? Thank you so much!

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Its an I7. Even though it is very old, it will game just fine if on a budget.

Also the 580 should work.
Thank you. Like I said earlier, I’m still not very smart with computer related things, but I’m looking foreword to upgrading this system. I just want to be sure when I buy my graphics card so I don’t waste any money. Are you sure the 580 will work in my system? Thanks again!

Heres an I7 920 working with a RX560. If it works with a 560 it will work with an RX580.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwNDOgTt0Sg

Also, what is the best possible graphics card I can put in this system? Thank you so much!
Theoretically a Titan RTX with a beefy PSU, but pairing a 10-year-old CPU with a $2500 titan RTX is maybe not a great Idea.
Okay, I used a flashlight to look into this computer. It has 4x2 gab ram sticks. Would I be able to replace 2 of those sticks with 4gb sticks to make it 12gb if ram?
Ill have to do some research on the motherboard.

If you have this PC now, can you open the side panel and take a picture of the side of the PSU? I know it needs changed, but if I google the model number I may be able to see if it can be replaced easily.