[SOLVED] what Power supply do i need ?

silliconcrayon

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
Hello guys I'm building my computer and i was settling in with 1000watt corsair PSU but i realized it's an overkill and i can save few bucks and invest them into my custom water cooling so please tell me what WATTs do i need ?

list of components :
Intel 10900Ka
Asus z490 Strix Gaming E Motherboard
64 GB RGB g skill trident
RTX 3080 Nvidea graphics card
Custom water cooling hard tubes
going to use Thermaltake pump and reservoir combo Pacific d5 RGB one

So I think 750 RGB smart PSU from thermaltake should be good or not ? should I even buy thermaltake considering their brand is umm shhh * which cooler do you guys suggest i would need some RGB in case i can save few bucks

PS: question is what watts do i need ?

Solution
I would go 850w at least if you are overclocking that much. Also i would go higher that a seasonic focus. I'd go for a corsair hx, rmi, bitfenix whisper gold, seasonic prime, evga p2, super flower leadex iii...

That build deserves a great power supply

silliconcrayon

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
Calculation was around 609 Watts so what do you guys recommend with custom water cooling since they do not include water cooling in calculations ??

Should i settle in with an 750 or should i go for 850 or stick up with 1000w ? please reply thanks for you time :)

Hi silliconcrayon.

I would go for a good brand and model PSU. Just go for something like this.

The Smart PSU is below average. Thermaltake has good models too. Look at the list below

Don't try to save a few bucks by settling on a less than adequate, Low tier, budget PSU.
It is the most important hardware component and not to be underestimated.

Get yourself a 750W gold certified, fully modular unit from Seasonic Focus or if you intend Overclocking and expanding then the 850W would not be overkill. Yes a little more expensive but for peace of mind and 10 years Warranty they are about the best.

Reactions: Nemesia

silliconcrayon

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
Yes I'm overclocking about to the extreme 5.3 the max my chip can go and perhaps will OC the graphic card as well. So do you guys suggest around 850 ? I was going with 1000w but i thought maybe 750 or 850 would do ? if not lets stick to 1000w what say guys and thanks for the help hope everyone's safe and sound blesses :) :D

javi.sau.96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
I would go 850w at least if you are overclocking that much. Also i would go higher that a seasonic focus. I'd go for a corsair hx, rmi, bitfenix whisper gold, seasonic prime, evga p2, super flower leadex iii...

That build deserves a great power supply

Solution

javi.sau.96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
That's a good one. Should handle everything.

10900k can push about to 300w overclocked, 350w for the rtx 3080, give 100-150w more for the rest of the system? And that tested under full load, which isn't a real scenario.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020