[SOLVED] What power supply is compatible with my system ?

Nov 10, 2021
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to 1 thread
I'm planning of buying a power supply for my pc.
Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte H81m-s1
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790
Ram: 2x 4gb ddr3
Hard drive: 1tb seagate

So I'm planning in buying a 400 Watts power supply, is it good ang compatible with my setup? Or what power supply do you think is good?

What voltage of power supply should I get?

Solution
Ask yourself how fast you want to get rid of your system because of using a cheap garbage PSU. You can't buy a decent PSU for that tiny budget. https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...hlistcategory.list.59.51581f2cHPEPhT&search=1 is the cheapest I recommand.
I would say that is as decent as you can go in spite of that unit suffering from high ripple effects and coil whines.

I understand what you're getting at but I'm not really a heavy user. I only use pc for about 8 hours a day or when I have important things to do that I need to use it. My cheap power supply lasted for about 4 years but yeah it...
Nov 10, 2021
Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte H81m-s1
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790
RAM: 2x 4gb ddr3
Hard drive: 1tb 7200rpm

My pc is not booting up and I have done many troubleshooting and I'm suspecting the psu is the problem with my latest upgrade of my pc.

Any recommendations for a power supply?

Nov 10, 2021
Ask yourself how fast you want to get rid of your system because of using a cheap garbage PSU. You can't buy a decent PSU for that tiny budget. https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...hlistcategory.list.59.51581f2cHPEPhT&search=1 is the cheapest I recommand.

I understand what you're getting at but I'm not really a heavy user. I only use pc for about 8 hours a day or when I have important things to do that I need to use it. My cheap power supply lasted for about 4 years but yeah it eats lot of power.

When I bought another cpu because the other one got fried I didn't realise that the intel core i7 4790 needs at least 300W(or so what I have read) that's why my pc won't boot up but it keeps on running.

Can a Rakk 400W power supply be good enough for the pc to function? If not then what's the maximum or minimum W that I need.

It is not so much the watts but quality.
Many power supplies claim high wattage,Like the one you posted. But if you try to pull 400 watts from it, it will die and probably take other parts with it. It can only do 400watts for a few milliseconds at best.

Post the websites that you will be buying from and we can advise from there.

Reactions: boju
I would say that is as decent as you can go in spite of that unit suffering from high ripple effects and coil whines.

I understand what you're getting at but I'm not really a heavy user. I only use pc for about 8 hours a day or when I have important things to do that I need to use it. My cheap power supply lasted for about 4 years but yeah it eats lot of power.

When I bought another cpu because the other one got fried I didn't realise that the intel core i7 4790 needs at least 300W(or so what I have read) that's why my pc won't boot up but it keeps on running.

Can a Rakk 400W power supply be good enough for the pc to function? If not then what's the maximum or minimum W that I need.
A low quality unit has high probability of failure and sometimes it takes out other parts along with it including CPUs and Motherboards. If it has to go bad 8 hrs wont matter, it can happen in 8 mins. The kind of PSU models you are referring are house fires in waiting. Those cheap units are highly not recommended. Rest its your PC do whatever you like. Here is a rough guide to assist you...goodluck.

Reactions: Superpanda666
Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Neither of those look like good options.

Voltage should be whatever your local voltage supply is. North America is generally 120 volts, half of Japan is 100 volts, Europe is generally 240/250 volts. Most recent model power supplies are 100-250 volt capable that are sold internationally.

400W is plenty for a system with no graphics card.

What country are you in and how much do you have to spend?

Reactions: Superpanda666
Why do you think you want a 400w psu?
Why 400w and not more or less?
What is the make/model of your case, some require smaller psu's.
What is your current psu?
What is your graphics card?

To answer your question, the voltage should be the voltage of the wall socket into which you plug your psu. In the us, it is 110-120v or so.

Nov 10, 2021
Neither of those look like good options.

Voltage should be whatever your local voltage supply is. North America is generally 120 volts, half of Japan is 100 volts, Europe is generally 240/250 volts. Most recent model power supplies are 100-250 volt capable that are sold internationally.

400W is plenty for a system with no graphics card.

What country are you in and how much do you have to spend?
I'm in the Philippines and I will not be using a graphics card.

Nov 10, 2021
Why do you think you want a 400w psu?
Why 400w and not more or less?
What is the make/model of your case, some require smaller psu's.
What is your current psu?
What is your graphics card?

To answer your question, the voltage should be the voltage of the wall socket into which you plug your psu. In the us, it is 110-120v or so.
-I need a 400W because I think it's enough for my system with no graphics card.
-400W is enough for me as I dont plan of upgrading my components now nor in the future.
-my case is micro-atx
-my current psu is 230W BYSUO(Cheap but lasted for about 2 years now)
-don't have a graphics card I only play league of legends for pass time.

In the Philippines we use 220V.

Last edited: